How do i know if my chickens have worms?

I looked on Jefferslivestock.com and found the Valbazen but it says for goats, cattle and sheep- is this the same for chickens? And how much do I give.. I only see Wazine under the poultry section. I do not know if my girls have worms, I am a newbie, but figure I should have some on hand or do it now before they start laying.

Thanks!

That's the one.
Many manufactures don't test things on chickens so they won't say it's okay for use on them.

FWIW, the people I bought my chickens from worm with Wazine. They wormed them routinely and they still came to me with worms. Obviously there's more than just roundworms so I use Valbazen.
1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Give orally with a syringe without the needle. Or you can put it in a piece of bread as long as you can make sure each one gets their single dose.

Ok so I found the Valbazen online, but I figured I'd rather start them on something sooner than later, so I picked up the Wazine from the feed store since I can start it immediately. Now I'm new at this and got my first chickens in May. I got an Americauna that was about 3 months old, a Coronation Sussex, a bantam Cochin, and a Silkie, which were all between 6 and 8 weeks old. My Americauna girl still hasn't laid, and although they look healthy and act normal to me, I figure maybe its worms. So I pick up the Wazine.
I go outside, see the girls in the grass, but the Silkie is missing. I was afraid something had happened to her, when I found her in the coop laying! MY FIRST EGG! And it was from the Silkie of all things. So now.. I wonder, should I deworm them? Or should I just try some ACV and send a stool sample out in the meantime? I finally got an egg, I don't want to have to throw them out for the next month :(

Last edited:
Also, their poop looks normal and solid, I can't really compare their combs since this is my first time, the silkie has none, the americauna hardly has one, the sussex loloks pretty red, the cochin is a little more pink but no really that pale to me. I think I will wait a week, do the ACV and the stool sample. I'd rather wait a little closer to winter to deworm when I don't have to toss their eggs.

Last edited:
Hi..to start with, your chickens are kind of like dogs, they will have very pale gums or tongues..if white there Over Loaded. Here in the south, worm eggs are every where..birds bring them.There's no way to kill the eggs that are in the soil.
I was loseing lots of my poultry, because I was buying from auctions.. they would be thin.. not thinking any thing of it..I would put them in with what I raised..
Well went to the vet, an he said that you have to worm, once then again in 10 days..that's when the eggs hatch in the chickens that are left. Wormer only kills the live worms, not the eggs. Then you have to worm Once a month there after..
He told me that wazene only kill 33% of the worms..so after the first treatment above...you can alternate it with ivermec or safeguard. something that covers more worms ..
So by this I've been doing well with my poultry..

Can chickens ever just get over this themselves? without treatment? I have a girl that has most of these symptoms and has for a few weeks now. Still being fairly amateur with this chicken stuff, I didn't even think about worms until now!
She hardly eats (and when she does it is fruits/veggies - she will NOT eat chicken feed) - she drinks a little, her comb is very pale and has completely flopped. She is slow and unable to hot up a step.
I have been keeping her separate from the others since some started pecking on her.
I checked her bum and poop yesterday and do not see any worms. Which is why I wonder if she had them, but maybe got over them on her own recently?
OR - is there something else those more experienced think it could be? She is a 3 year old golden sex link.
Thank you!

Can chickens ever just get over this themselves? without treatment? I have a girl that has most of these symptoms and has for a few weeks now. Still being fairly amateur with this chicken stuff, I didn't even think about worms until now!
She hardly eats (and when she does it is fruits/veggies - she will NOT eat chicken feed) - she drinks a little, her comb is very pale and has completely flopped. She is slow and unable to hot up a step.
I have been keeping her separate from the others since some started pecking on her.
I checked her bum and poop yesterday and do not see any worms. Which is why I wonder if she had them, but maybe got over them on her own recently?
OR - is there something else those more experienced think it could be? She is a 3 year old golden sex link.
Thank you!

It could possible be worms or external parasites. Chickens just dont "get over this themselves." You need to intervene and do something about it. Visually inspect her for lice/mites, submit a fecal sample to a vet for testing.

I am also new to having chickens I have 3 girls I am madly in love with already I've had them for three weeks they each lay an egg a day I want to keep them happy and healthy should I worm them since I just got them

This may be a silly question but could someone please explain to me this? My girls are only 3 month old but I'd like to give them a valbazen treatment now. They aren't laying and probably won't for at least another month or more. I know the waiting period before using the eggs is 24 days with that treatment. But what if they aren't laying yet? Will I need to worry still about their first few eggs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom