How do i know if my chickens have worms?

It seems that everyone is different on this issue. Some will do an annual preventative maintence either using chemicals or go the natural route with pumkin seeds mixed with butter milk. Some say the ACV will work and some say that it won't and is total crap. Some say don't do anything until you have a problem, others say that when you realize you have a problem that it's usually too late. Some say that if you live in the city vs country you get different water that is treated vs well water and that fact alone will keep a flock worm free. Some say that if they don't free range and are only kept in the run/coop area that the exposure to getting worms is very low and not a problem and of course others will disagree with that and claim that if they eat any bugs at all that they will be exposed to worm larve from what is inside the guts of the bugs.

I'm telling you, you've opened a "can of worms" by asking the question.

Great question! I also wondered if folks who are deworming do it as a routine care or in responce to a symptom I should be looking out for?

Not sure about all symptoms, but of course the poop can tell the tale. However, a sign of gapeworm will also look like they are panting, so now that we're in the summer months, you won't be able to tell if they are just warm or got the gape.

lol.png
it seems i have a habit of that!! i really don't know what i'm looking for and i too have heard many theories, what do you guys do regarding the issue and do you find it works for you??

Well, here goes. I usually worm once a yr. I read a study that said all chickens have worms but they are usually kept in check. I did notice some very pale combs and some worms in feces. So, I wazined my group when they were not laying well in the early winter, followed by ivemect. I would however do it different now. I would go the route of Valbazen. The wazine does not get rid of tape worms or gape worms and is very hard on the chickens. The val. works more slowly but takes a 24 day egg delay. I think this year I will val. my new chickens at 3 months. That way there will not be a wait on the eggs as they are not laying yet. Worm eggs in the soil or on the hens fluff when it comes to chicks can be a carrier. Bugs etc. Hens that do not have to fight a large worm load eat less, lay better and generally are healthier. Gloria Jean

Well mine don't appear to be showing any of said symptoms but i'm still curious of whether i should make a bit of a routine when it comes to it, is there any real need to treat healthy hens as a preventative or should it be done purely when symptoms arise? Which method is best for the chooks?

Worms are easy to spot. Just look in the poo for eggs and larvae. How to treat it? Simply quarantine, dewormer, yogurt, and a vet check.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom