How do I know if my chicks have been vaccinated for mareks?

It's easiest to choose to vaccinate from the hatchery. It's only about .50 cents per bird and its done at hatch. However, you CAN do it later to your chicks it just might not be as effective because they could already have been exposed to the virus. It's a race to get them vaccinated Before they become exposed. That is_why it's done at hatch. Mareks is everywhere and Highly contagious. It can travel in air live for miles and it stays on land for years.in my opinion it's the MOST important vaccine of all. It's the only vaccine I give.

Last edited:
It's easiest to choose to vaccinate from the hatchery. It's only about .50 cents per bird and its done at hatch. However, you CAN do it later to your chicks it just might not be as effective because they could already have been exposed to the virus. It's a race to get them vaccinated Before they become exposed. That is_why it's done at hatch. Mareks is everywhere and Highly contagious. It can travel in air live for miles and it stays on land for years.in my opinion it's the MOST important vaccine of all. It's the only vaccine I give.

So I can still give it then? I know I can purchase it at the feed store and I have friends that know how to give it. I'd really like to if it's not to late...

So I can still give it then? I know I can purchase it at the feed store and I have friends that know how to give it. I'd really like to if it's not to late...

Yes you can still give the vaccine. The only reason it's recommend for just hatched is that just hatched birds have not been "exposed" to the virus. Being a bit older the only risk of vaccinations is that the chick has already been exposed to the virus. And if the chick has been exposed to the virus the vaccination won't protect her. But if she has not been exposed then the vaccination WILL protect her. I have myself given the vaccine to "older" chicks. I do recommend buying the vaccine from first state vet online. They keep the vaccine cold during shipping like it's supposed to be and the vaccine comes with clear instructions. You won't hurt your chick if you give it the vaccine older, however you might not help it either if it's already exposed..but if it's not been exposed, you WILL help the chick. After the vaccine is given, keep the chicks inside and AWAY from other poultry for about 4 weeks. This gives time for immunity to develop from the vaccine. It's not instant. Their body needs time to build antibodies. Hope this helps and best wishes!!

Yes you can still give the vaccine. The only reason it's recommend for just hatched is that just hatched birds have not been "exposed" to the virus. Being a bit older the only risk of vaccinations is that the chick has already been exposed to the virus. And if the chick has been exposed to the virus the vaccination won't protect her. But if she has not been exposed then the vaccination WILL protect her. I have myself given the vaccine to "older" chicks. I do recommend buying the vaccine from first state vet online. They keep the vaccine cold during shipping like it's supposed to be and the vaccine comes with clear instructions. You won't hurt your chick if you give it the vaccine older, however you might not help it either if it's already exposed..but if it's not been exposed, you WILL help the chick. After the vaccine is given, keep the chicks inside and AWAY from other poultry for about 4 weeks. This gives time for immunity to develop from the vaccine. It's not instant. Their body needs time to build antibodies. Hope this helps and best wishes!!

Thank you so much for your help. I will definitely be getting the vaccine now. :)

Your welcome. I asked a expert the same thing and he told me EXACTLY what I told you. Just keep in the back of your mind, if she Has been exposed, it won't help. It won't hurt, but won't help either. If she has NOT been exposed she will get the same protection as if it was done at hatch. Issue is, there is know real way to know if she's actually had exposure or not. However in my own personal opinion, I think it's good to try and protect her anyway. Not to just give up because she's past hatch age. Because what if she HASN'T been exposed. This way you still have a chance to protect her. My chick's I did when they were a little older are almost 4 years old now and never showed signs of Mareks. It's highly likely they were NOT exposed although a bit older. I'm glad I took the chance. :)

Last edited:
Your welcome. I asked a expert the same thing and he told me EXACTLY what I told you. Just keep in the back of your mind, if she Has been exposed, it won't help. It won't hurt, but won't help either. If she has NOT been exposed she will get the same protection as if it was done at hatch. Issue is, there is know real way to know if she's actually had exposure or not. However in my own personal opinion, I think it's good to try and protect her anyway. Not to just give up because she's past hatch age. Because what if she HASN'T been exposed. This way you still have a chance to protect her. My chick's I did when they were a little older are almost 4 years old now and never showed signs of Mareks. It's highly likely they were NOT exposed although a bit older. I'm glad I took the chance. :)

I definitely would want to take the chance and vaccinate. I know it's silly but I really love my birds lol. I think my husband is jealous haha.

Back
Top Bottom