how do I know if my rooster is sick?

Denisemomof4

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
I have a 5.5 year old bantam rooster that just sits in the corner looking ill. It's been going on for a month now. He's lost a lot of weight but I can't figure out what to do for him. His droppings appear normal but he just appears unwell.

What do I do about something like this? There are no symptoms. He was treated for coccidia with the rest of the flock over the summer so I don't believe it's parasites or worms. I'm so confused.

I've been reading around here and still don't know what to think. I thought maybe it was old age (I thought it was closer to 7.5) but now that I realize he's 5.5 (had to dig through email to see when I got him. I took him off of someone's hands)

If any of you rememember me, I wrote in here very upset about our polish. I thought she had broken her neck but you all directed me to wry neck. I nursed her back from the dead and three months out, I'm still syringe feeding her and she's still living in the house. I bought material for a diaper for her. I can't help myself. LOVE these chickens!

Any suggestions for my rooster? He should have a good couple of years left in him. I think I will add apple cider vinegar and chopped garlic to his water.

Is he the only roo, or maybe another guy took his place? I just lost a roo, just dropped in rank so much, I think he gave up.
sad.png

I have other roosters, but this bantam rooster and a hen were getting bullied so now they have their own separate area. It's only the rooster and the hen. I've tried leaving him alone in the cage for a period of time but still, he just lays in the corner looking ill. I feel bad because he should live a few more years.

I don't know what to do!

Back
Top Bottom