How do I know if she is egg bound? SHE IS NOW WHAT?UPDATE

I would try K-Y before vaseline. I am a noob but our first chicken to lay eggs was badly egg bound but we didn't know
idunno.gif
My husband called someone who told him to help her with the egg which he did...a wee lil brown egg (she was a black silkie named Roxanne). Anyway, the membrane never went back in so the next day my husband cleaned it as best he could. She died that night.
hit.gif
We only know 1 person who has chickens and he didn't seem overly concerned about the membrane not going back. Turns out (after looking online) we should have used some K-Y and pushed it back up....I don't know if that would have helped her...I would do as much research as possible.

This site is great for info and the people are sooo helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, I didn't find it until last week. But better late than never.

Last edited:
Deb, don't forget about the warm sitz-bath! I always forget when we're talking about egg-binding.

They say it works better than the vaseline/KY - but you can do both - bath first, KY afterward.

2 eggs! I hope she gets them out and feels better very soon.
fl.gif

Sorry to just now be seeing this post. Cringed when I saw you first posted yesterday.

I don't want to alarm you but an eggbound bird can have heart failure from straining to get the egg out. I lost a beautiful hen (RIP Annie) in July to an apparent heart attack that occurred when her egg was just a few hours late - I had no idea she'd be in big trouble that fast, especially since she never once before had an egg laying problem. She wasn't even 2 yet
hit.gif

If you search "eggbound" lots of info should come up. Warm bath. Calcium. Lubricant. Keeping her in a dark quiet warm stress free place till this is resolved (dark will slow down further egg production)....

Hoping very much for a happy outcome - often it can work out with intervention soon enough.
JJ

Now she out of the nest, but I can never catch her! And I can't check the nest because Kojak is in there now and when I tried to reach under her she said "Un Uh honey". HAHAHA!

She does now, she just layed the second egg. I KNEW she had two in there!!! She is running around the coop dust bathing in every hole she can dig. Her comb is back to pink and she is so happy!!!

What a relief! Tremendously good news that she was able to get both of those eggs out...whew...she has to be one joyous chickie right now!
JJ

I had an EE looking pretty puny today. Just sitting on a perch, or sitting outside, with her eyes closed. When she went back inside and sat on the perch, I remembered this thread, so I picked her up and, well, poked around to see if she might be egg bound. She's a young pullet, and I dont know if she's even laying yet. Couldnt feel anything. I went back outside, pulled up a chair, and prepared for a little chicken TV. A very young blue rock came running out of the shed, squawking like "I Have Something Wonderful And You Dont". I couldnt tell what it was, a piece of paper, what?? It looked like....I didnt know what...something floppy and white. I went in the coop, and right under where the pullet was sitting, was a smashed egg! She sat on her perch and laid an egg! So of course a few got a taste of yummy egg, so Im going to really have to keep an eye on them for a few days.

Also today, this morning, I was in the coop, and my splash rock hen was walking around like she had something stuck up her butt....she did, it was an egg. As she walked she....plopped out an egg.

Don't these girls read the manuals on how and where to lay eggs anymore? Is this the modern hen protesting their lot in life? Next thing they'll be picketing the coop, wanting to lay only 4 days a week, wanting double feed on Saturdays and Sundays. Its gonna get ugly around here.

Back
Top Bottom