How do I know my duck eggs are fertile?

SoothingSunlight

Hatching
Jun 4, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've had chickens for a while now, and just got 3 ducks, 1 male 2 female. They are big, white, with a red face, I believe muscovy ducks. My worry is, I've had them for about 2 months now and I've never seen the male mating. With my roosters I see it every day. I keep them to hatch the eggs, it'd be a real shame to waste them if they are not even fertile.

Hello everyone,

I've had chickens for a while now, and just got 3 ducks, 1 male 2 female. They are big, white, with a red face, I believe muscovy ducks. My worry is, I've had them for about 2 months now and I've never seen the male mating. With my roosters I see it every day. I keep them to hatch the eggs, it'd be a real shame to waste them if they are not even fertile.
Crack some open and examine the yolk for a blastoderm vs a blastodisc.
1617459428223.png

In bigger ducks like the pekin vent feathers may need to be trimmed to allow for easier mating and better fertility.

Ducks, no matter the type need a pool, or at least a deep bucket. Not just for playing/mating but for health reasons too. They need to be able to clear their nares (put their entire bill) into the water every so often.

They do have a plastic bathtub and a large basin, but I've never seen them get in it or even drink from it.

Back
Top Bottom