How do I know when they're pipping?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Well, idiot me, not only did I attempt to cook the eggs, after already having temp issues in the beginning, but, I miscalculated the hatch date. It's actually the 18th day tonight, not last night. Anyways, I have a small window, but, umm, how in the heck am I supposed to see pipping? I have a window on the top and a window in the side, but they're small, the eggs are dark, the bator is dark, etc. Is it hard to tell when they're pipping and zipping and all of that, or should I just COMPLETELY ignore it and just let them do their thing and check back in two days for any chicks that may have survived my idiocy?

well when they start to pip you will not be able to stay away, if you are like me. but do not open the bator till all have hatched! and you will beable to tell when thay start because they will chirp real loud. and when they zip it want be long before you see fuzzy butts in bator.

Mine didnt even chirp this time until after they were out....when I had my LG i'd hover over the bator with my pen light and look for a small flake of the egg to be pipped up....and soon after that there'd be chicks!
big_smile.png

I would give them some time. Things don't always happen by the numbers. You would feel worse if you started throwing out eggs that may be a few days late to hatch.
I don't use a incubator. I have always let my hens hatch the chicks and ducks. Believe you me I have had some hatch and the mom give up on a few, then move them to another hen and it has been up to 2 days later that the abandon eggs hatched.
Don't be in such a hurry, nature takes its time some days.

What are you hatching that would hatch on day 18? I always had a small flashlight to look in for pips. I sure is exciting. I usually can hear little peeps but not always. Once they pip it gets louder. Good luck with your hatch. I hope the high temps did not make a difference.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Coturnix quail. Technically, I guess that they're supposed to hatch out on day 16, but I've just gone by Monarc's recommendation of 18 days instead. I'll definately give them a few extra days (not like I have anything to loose by waiting), but, well, I'm not holding my breath or anything.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom