How do I learn to milk a goat?

miss_thenorth

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
SW Ont, Canada
A friend has a nubian/boer mix who is ready to kid. i was considering , (and she is willing ) to take a female when it is ready to go. So of course the kid would have to grow up, kid herself, before she is ready to milk. the friend does not milk her nubian. So if I get this goat, I have a while to learn how to milk. so how would I learn? Any thoughts?

Try here. In fact, that entire site is a valuable resource for goat info.
Good luck!
big_smile.png

Its not hard I promise. I stumbled into dairy goats like alot of people. I had a brush goat that had exceptional udders. She made way too much milk for her one little baby. I had to milk her, or she was in danger of mastitis. I didn't read anything before hand, just dived right in. By her third milking we had it down. In no time I could milk her in minutes.

We enjoyed the milk so much that we moved onto dairy goats and haven't looked back. Milking goats is the most calming thing I do. It a very peaceful thing. The trick is not to pull. PM me if you have any questions after reading around online. I'll be glad to help.

Gwen I love milking as well espeacialy in the morning it is a good way to start of your day before work or school. I really wish I could have a few goats here but I am leaving for college in two years so I am stuck with just chickens for now. at camp everymorning I got up at 6:00 to milk our alpine doe. I could milk her out in about 10 muinets by the end I was the fastest milker. she was producing about 1/2 a gallon and had a great udder and was pretty coaprative and a good teaching goat. I am sure I will have a pretty big herd of dairy goats when I am an adult I have considered a life of teaching sustainble farming practices or city farming (I am doing it now) I am the head of my schools sustainbility club and I want to live a sustainble life. I am really intrested in the future of goat and sheep dairying because it is much more sustainble then cattle.

Henry

Fias Co Farms is a good place for information and some diagrams on milking technique. But there is still no substitute for an experienced person to walk you through it if possible especially if the teats are small. Bad techniques can do damage to the teats.

I tried this at a friends years ago and it is hilarious!!! Not at all easy unless you know what your doing...and for the goats sake...warm your hands first, lol!!!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Thanks all, and Gwen, it will be a while before I get her and she is ready to milk--but thanks for the offer to help. My kids and I are so looking forward to it. i want to be prepared!!!!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom