How do I look after an early hatched duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by callduckqueen, Jul 23, 2011.

1. callduckqueen

callduckqueen New Egg

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi

I think I did a really stupid thing but I'm a novice. My call duck sucessfully hatched 3 eggs after a long 32 days! I could hear that a 4th egg was alive but no cracks were showing. On day 34 I decided to chip the egg and have a look. He had broken the inner membrane, there was a little blood, and I can still see his yolk sack on the stomach (im guessing this is the yolk sack). Now I feel I have rushed him and he isn't ready yet - but its day 34!

How do I make sure he is ok whilst he is still absorbing? There is only a bit of eggshell around his bottom end, the rest is exposed. I've taken him from the mother and put him with some wet tissue and a lamp on him. I don't have an incubator. He is quite vocal. Is he going to survive?

Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep the duckling in a clean environment and keep the umbilical area moist (Neosporin might help). Hopefully all will absorb and no bacteria will enter the duckling's body. Good luck!

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I had something similar happen about 1 week ago. Here is a link to that. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=540541&p=3

Keep
    the humidity up, Leave it on papertowels or something clean and dry. Mine broke away from the shell and what I am assuming unabsorbed yolk about an hour later. He was very weak and slow for the first day. Because he was trying to get out for so long I gave him some food and water on the second day. I also put him on a towel as it looked like the papertowels were too slick and he couldn't get his footing. The next morning he was zipping around [​IMG] Outside he went. He is 4 days younger and MUCH smaller than his siblings but keeps up like a champ. I was worried that mom wouldn't accept him but she heard him peeping and gathered him up.

Good luck with your baby.

Here he is when I put him out with them.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by