How do I make a LF Blue Barred cochin flock?

chickenpiedpiper

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
New Durham NH
Ok, all you chicken genetic junkies, heres one for you. I want blue barred cochins. Not like the lemon cuckoos where only the male shows the barring, but like the barred cochins, but in BLue.

I understand the bbs genetics, but not the barring gene (yet).

How do I make a Blue barred LF Cochin? is it as simple as a blue rooster in with barred hens? I doubt it, or some one would have done it. so, whats the trick, or wont it work?

Thanks in advance.
CCP

Quote:
Yep, that would be easy and it is as simple as a Barred ROOSTER, on Blue or Splash Cochin hens, the barred one will need to be the rooster so all of the chicks will need to be barred. Say if you are using Barred roo on Splash hens, then all of the offspring will be Blue Barred, but the roos produced will only have one copy of barring and if breed to the blue barred hens, half of the second generation pullets wont be barred.

So your best bet would be

Barred Roo on Splash hens = All Blue barred offspring.

Breed those Blue Barred females back to the pure original Barred male and you will get all Blue and Black barred offspring and if you only breed from there, the barring will breed true as long as you dont cross back in a none barred color and if you do, it needs to be in the same steps that you did in the first place.

There's an auction going right now for some nice barred, LF cochins.
smile.png

Quote:
Yep, that would be easy and it is as simple as a Barred ROOSTER, on Blue or Splash Cochin hens, the barred one will need to be the rooster so all of the chicks will need to be barred. Say if you are using Barred roo on Splash hens, then all of the offspring will be Blue Barred, but the roos produced will only have one copy of barring and if breed to the blue barred hens, half of the second generation pullets wont be barred.

Breed those Blue Barred females back to the pure original Barred male and you will get all Blue and Black barred offspring and if you only breed from there, the barring will breed true as long as you dont cross back in a none barred color and if you do, it needs to be in the same steps that you did in the first place.

LOL! I knew there was a reason I didnt due well in biology! I am going to print this out, and read it a few times, put it in a graph, and sleep on it. I followed you right up until the last sentence, (I think) I dont want to inbreed too many generations, so I will need to introduce new blood, but since I cant seem to find anyone with blue barred LF Cochins, will I have to introduce barred cochins? will that dilute the odds of blue? do I intoduce the new blood in the form of a Roo to maintain the barring, or barred hens.. Why is it the barring seems to only pass thru the males, (lemon cuckoo's only show it in the males too.) But there will be blue barred hens from this cross?
That sounds AWESOME!

Thank you for the good start!
CCP

Quote:

LOL! I knew there was a reason I didnt due well in biology! I am going to print this out, and read it a few times, put it in a graph, and sleep on it. I followed you right up until the last sentence, (I think) I dont want to inbreed too many generations, so I will need to introduce new blood, but since I cant seem to find anyone with blue barred LF Cochins, will I have to introduce barred cochins? will that dilute the odds of blue? do I intoduce the new blood in the form of a Roo to maintain the barring, or barred hens.. Why is it the barring seems to only pass thru the males, (lemon cuckoo's only show it in the males too.) But there will be blue barred hens from this cross?
That sounds AWESOME!

Thank you for the good start!
CCP

Yes, you can bring in new blood from new Barred Cochins all you want, you just treat it as a black in the BBS crossings so Black Barred X Blue Barred = Half Black Barred and Half Blue Barred.

Lemon Cuckoo hens also have barring and show it to some extent but not as food as the roos, I have a project Lemon Cuckoo orp project and the lemon cuckoo pullet I have looks like a blurred buff but the blurring is coming from the barring, but the roos are able to show it better. The buff from the cuckoo also doesnt give it enough contrast to show the barring as well as it would on a blue or black bird. I hope to eventually pen BBS and Cuckoo Marans together and I would end up with some Blue Cuckoos out of that.

Back
Top Bottom