How do I make myself my chickens BEST FRIEND? BONDING QUESTION.

fushalilly

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
Im about to pick up my 3 2 week old sex links. Are these friendly? Im new at this.

How do you bond with them and make yourself their best friend. I want my chicks to run up to me and stand at my feet. I want to be the one in my family they love most. How shohuld I go about doing this?

Food is a chickens best friend! Check out the healthy treats list on this site. Also talk to them when you feed them. They'll come running when they hear you.

Patience, sweet talk, and TREATS! Fresh food and water, clean environment, and HOURS spent with them! I sit outside and watch mine for HOURS each day. They get treats about twice a week in the afternoon so I am certain their main diet is what they really need. You should see them come running in the afternoon for a bite or two of Romaine lettuce or a couple of chopped up seedless grapes. Once a month I give them a bite or two of Pepperjack cheese. If you can get them to eat out of your hand, you have made a good start. Often I offer them a little of their regular chicken food by hand because they don't seem to realize it's not a REAL treat!
lau.gif
I learned the hard way not to give them lots of treats all day. My layer got soft egg shells, and the poo got WAY too runny ALL of the time! Treats are their favorite thing, and moderation is so hard to practice.
smile.png

I thought i was my chickens best friend already.....BUT yesterday i brought them some angels food cake.......well now i am their even better best friend EVER. They LOVE the stuff!!!!

* And, when they hear you, even if your'e NOT coming their way-- like your'e in the house yelling at the dog to get off the beep! bed-- they'll squawk when they hear you.

i have only had my 3 a couple of weeks but i am already their best friend because i give them FOOD!!!! just like all my pets......................................

Back
Top Bottom