How do I make this door?

TxChick77

Chirping
Apr 2, 2015
Southeast Tx

I believe I found this image on this site, saved it in my idea box and now can't find the source to figure out how the handle is attached to the door.

Any suggestions on the best method to make a similar door using pvc?

Not sure how really to explain it, but the door sits in grooves like a sliding window or patio door would. You drill holes for the pipe to go through fastening it to the side of the door which allows you to push and pull the door open and closed. The only down side I see to the method is there doesn't appear to be a way to latch the door shut. Racoons and other pests could easily slide that open. I could build it but probably didn't explain it all that well. Hope this helps! Good luck!

So maybe the pulley system with an up/down door might be better predictor proof wise?

(And maybe upgrade to an automatic one on a timer down the road..hehe)

I would think so, the predator will have to fight the weight of the door always coming down on them. That style you could always add weight to it aswell making it hard for them to lift it all. The auto doors are pretty slick. Not sure if I can justify the cost just yet, but on some days would sure be handy!

Well I just searched for lattice caps and see they don't make the inexpensive wood ones anymore. When I built my sliding coop doors I purchased wood lattice connectors for like $2 each for 8ft length. The pre-cut groove makes putting together sliding doors a dream. With my search right now I could only find plastic caps that were near $7 each. Perhaps in the store you'd find what I used.

A 3/8 inch piece of plywood slides in those grooves. I'd built my coop of 3/8 T-111.

See if I can find a photo that will detail it for you...
900x900px-LL-3317215e_69907_100_3192.jpeg

900x900px-LL-dd05a309_69907_100_3161.jpeg

Best photos I could find but think this gives you an idea of how I put the clean out door and chicken door together with these lattice connector strips.

Back
Top Bottom