How do I move my broody hen?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by joedie, Apr 20, 2011.

1. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have a 2 year old pair of BRs and the hen just went broody on 2 eggs but they are in the hay stack in the middle of a barn with an open front and no way to close her in at night. I'm concerned a racoon or something will get her so I tried to move her last night to a similar setup I made in the coop. She hissed like a snake and puffed up. Rather intimidating!
    Would it be best if I tried to move her at night along with her eggs like a chicken? And can you pick them up like you would a chicken or do I have to hold her by the base of the wings? I've not had much experience with turkeys so sorry if this sounds rather silly.

2. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I dont advise moving her unless you want to incubate the eggs if you do get the legs they got some sharp nails and know how to use them i hold them upside down by the legs if i am forced to mess with em they will flap a bit just hold tight and it stops not sure she will re set her eggs in another place but i have moved a broody hen and they do hiss and puff my hen had been pulled off her eggs by a oppossum and her eggs got ate i pluged up the spot she had so that she could not get back in and made a nice spot for her to find shes layed 6 or 7 more eggs as of today and has not began to set again but i think she will remember hold on tight and get the legs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by