How do I prevent my 4 week old fully integrated chicks from being taken?

3SiameseCats

Songster
Jun 24, 2023
Massachusetts
In the past week, 3 of my 7 chicks have been stolen. We have a covered run and large coop, plus a covered outdoor thing. Yet they keep disappearing. We have two roosters, and they seem quite protective of the chicks, but I don’t exactly know why they are disappearing. What can I do? I’m planning to plant some decorative bushes in their yard that they can hide in, but I’m terrified of having them out of my sight for long. I could keep them in the run for a bit until I get something planted. I’m also going away on a trip soon so I need to have something together soon. The yard is also in a flood zone when it rains a ton, if that is relevant.

ah okay. could you post pics of your setup to see how we could help you make it secure?
I really need to make the run bigger but I have to head on a trip in a week or so and then after that im only going to have weekends to spend on it plus winter will be coming. I should at least lay the foundation before it gets to cold though. Actually might be able to do that now but the plan isn’t fully agreed upon yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
if thats the run its not really covered. unless you lock them up at night, no roof means anything could climb over and as short as the "walls" are then anything could jump that as well. its also a good idea to concrete the "walls" in the ground so that nothing digs under

if thats the run its not really covered. unless you lock them up at night, no roof means anything could climb over and as short as the "walls" are then anything could jump that as well. its also a good idea to concrete the "walls" in the ground so that nothing digs under
It does have a roof, the tarp is for rain cover. All the chicks and hens and all go in for roost at night and I lock them up then. During the day they have access to the chicken yard (not my whole yard) because the indoor space is too small to keep them in 24/7. Im currently working on putting in a foundation so I can work on it reguardless of the temperature outside (can’t dig if ground is frozen)

It does have a roof, the tarp is for rain cover. All the chicks and hens and all go in for roost at night and I lock them up then. During the day they have access to the chicken yard (not my whole yard) because the indoor space is too small to keep them in 24/7. Im currently working on putting in a foundation so I can work on it reguardless of the temperature outside (can’t dig if ground is frozen)
okay so what im seeing is the yard? where do you keep them at night? are they disappearing during day or night?

Back
Top Bottom