How do i "recreate" them?

ninjascrub69

Songster
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Bloomingdale, MI
I was on a website (dont remember which one though) and i saw a picture of a Flerry eye game fowl, and i fell in love with the breeds appearance. I searched for eggs, adults, and chicks on the internet, but couldnt find any for sale. How can i recreate this breed. If i do, I wont sell it as a true flerry eye, but as a barnyard mix (if i do sell it), I will most likely just have it as something cool to look at.

65389_flarry_eye.jpg

65389_flarry_eye_rooster.jpg

(images from ultimate fowl)

Edited For: had to add pics

Last edited:
Looks like a flarry eyed grey toppie.

You have to get a male golden duckwing game and black polish females.

Cross the male golden duckwing ( willow legs) with the black polish females ( with leaden blue legs) . Hatch 10 eggs or so- you only need 3-5 females. These will be F1 birchen looking or black and crested with wierd looking combs. The duplex comb ( found in the polish) is incompletely dominant to the single comb- so you get wierd looking combs. The skin color should be white and shanks should be blue.

Backcross the male golden duckwing with the F1 females. This cross (BC1) should produce some birds similar to the flarry eyed grey toppy. With this cross you will have to hatch as many birds as you can and see what segregates. You will get all kinds of combinations of the traits. The down color of the chicks will help you determine if the chicks are pure wild type (golden duckwing). Seperate out all of the chicks that have wild type down- these are the birds you want to raise. Chicks with birchen down are not what you want.

You want to pick out BC1 males and BC1 females that look similar to the flarry eyed gray toppy. Pick birds that have the golden duckwing color, a crest and blue legs. The males should look like golden duckwings but the females will look like silver duckwings. Some of the birds may have excessive amounts of black in the hackles and they may show some smut on their bodies . If you can, only use males and females that have nice silver hackles.

The BC1 X BC1 cross should produce some birds that would be close to the bird you want.

Tim

Last edited:
Dr. Centrarchid,

I incorrectly wrote gold duckwing and I meant to write golden duckwing ( I edited my post). There is a difference in the two birds.

Tim

Tim, my use of coloration phenotype terminology is so loose I did not pickup on particulars of gold versus golden. The toppies I am familiar did not have such a large mass of feather on head although they were distinguishable from non-toppied birds at a glance. Does more than one locus or possibly multiple alleles operating to cause the different degrees of toppiness? The OP has larger feather mass than typical toppies but much less than on polish that can be used to recreate the appearance shown.

About all you get in the literature is that crest is dominant and influenced by the comb.

From my work with the crest gene, I believe that the size of the crest is influenced by the sex of the bird, herniation of the scull , the type of comb, and gene(s) or some kind of regulation mechanism ( promotor- enhancer/insulator/silencer). I also think the heterozygous genotype (Cr/cr) also effects the size of the crest.

Crest can range from a few feathers sticking up to the polish type crest. Large crested birds ( polish, houdan etc.) have herniated skulls and the duplex comb. The duplex comb and herniated skull allow for a fuller expression of the crest gene.

Certain breeds of birds, like the pyncheon and watermaal, have tassels because the single comb (pyncheon) or rose comb (watermaal) also occupies the skull. In the Breda, they do not have a comb but still have a tassel. True Appenzeller Spitzauben have small modified crests that point forward- I believe this is due to the degree or shape of the herniation of the skull (regulated some way) and modifiers of the crest gene. Appenzeller have duplex combs.

It can be quit complicated. I need better facilities so I can produce more crosses and larger numbers of birds. Very frustrating.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom