How do I sex buff orpington chicks?

Oh boy! Here they come with the "sure-fire" ways to sex your babies! I like the one the most that said to put a remote control and a cell phone in with the babies.
hu.gif
Girls will go for the phone..... you get the rest!
lau.gif
On a more serious note, not sure how soon you need to determine the sex, but between 3-4 weeks (I have 12 buff orpingtons - 11 pullets, 1 rooster), my rooster's comb definitely started getting a darker red and split. That's when we decided to rename "Missy" to "Ernie"!
lol.png
It was a good call.
yippiechickie.gif
Ernie is now 8 weeks old and definitely my only buff rooster. I don't know any way to sex the chicks earlier - I'm too much of a newbie myself! Good luck and enjoy your babies!
What if they are a little older?

Attachments

• 75E25F58-8974-449D-AD42-C0F4DA91BED9.jpeg
    75E25F58-8974-449D-AD42-C0F4DA91BED9.jpeg
    886.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 277F52D6-8FCC-4356-BF6F-79ADE3A8A408.jpeg
    277F52D6-8FCC-4356-BF6F-79ADE3A8A408.jpeg
    816.3 KB · Views: 48
Buff Orpingtons are easy to sex at a day to three days old. I have used feather sexing on mine and had a 95% accuracy rate for the last 2 years. Watch this video
They show very clear pics of the feathers to look at.
And here I'm handling my chicks with kid gloves like they're going to die if I look at them wrong. 😟 Those are tough little buggers.

Buff Orpingtons are easy to sex at a day to three days old. I have used feather sexing on mine and had a 95% accuracy rate for the last 2 years. Watch this video
They show very clear pics of the feathers to look at.
This is an excellent video. Thank you so much. I just had a hen hatch some eggs so this has been very educational.

Back
Top Bottom