How do I start my girls free ranging

jen61871

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
I would like to start free ranging my 4 girls and I am not sure how to go about it. This is my first flock.
If I open the door of their run, how do I know they will stay around?
Please any advice and tips will be helpful

If you give treats or scratch, save some for the end of the day, or when you want them back in the run ... This will get their attention, and get them running to you! :)

As long as they know where the food, water, and shelter is, they will be fine. Just open the door to the run. They probably won't go very far for the first couple days. They might not even leave the run on the first day. Be around to monitor how far they get, though. When you want them back in the run calmly herd them back in. I stick helps to gently guide them.

As long as they know where the food, water, and shelter is, they will be fine. Just open the door to the run. They probably won't go very far for the first couple days. They might not even leave the run on the first day. Be around to monitor how far they get, though. When you want them back in the run calmly herd them back in. I stick helps to gently guide them.

Thank you!

My four girls love freeze dried meal worm. So I save them for when I want to put them back in the run. I shake the bag and they run/fly over and line up at the door waiting for me to throw a handful in the run. Throw the meal worms in and then I just close the door. Took a few days to train them to this, but I can put them back in the run anytime easy this way.

I let the girls out this evening about an hour before dusk and it went well. They stayed together for the most part and close to the coop and run for the most part. 2 of them went in and went to bed by themselves and the other 2 I walked into the run and they followed and then easily ushered them in the coop.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom