How do i stop my chickens from bullying or is it the pecking order,and can I get a chicken helmet?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
About 2 weeks ago I got new chickens and put them into my old flock at night the first day it went great with the 2 new chickens but on the second day they pecked one of them so bad I had to separate her from the flock. Not her wound has heeled and last night she was put in to the flock again. It went great at first,she went outside and wasn’t afraid but I saw them pecking at her,mostly my girls so how can I make sure them don’t open the wound again? Can you get a helmet or something? Or is the flock just adjusting the pecking order

You need to slowly introduce new birds. Often called the "see but no touch" method.

It takes time for chickens to get used to new members of the flock. It also takes extra space and extra feeders so bullying is reduced.
For about 2 weeks while the wound was healing they could see each other and I can see that the bullying has reduced so I hope that it’s them figureing their pecking order

About 2 weeks ago I got new chickens and put them into my old flock at night the first day it went great with the 2 new chickens but on the second day they pecked one of them so bad I had to separate her from the flock. Not her wound has heeled and last night she was put in to the flock again. It went great at first,she went outside and wasn’t afraid but I saw them pecking at her,mostly my girls so how can I make sure them don’t open the wound again? Can you get a helmet or something? Or is the flock just adjusting the pecking order
Chicken Helmet! :lau
:wee

ugh! poor little buddy. more free range time where the victim can run run away would be my personal solution. i like to use logs in the run to create little visual and physical distractions that allow a chicken to get out of the line of sight which is sometimes all thats necessary to halt a fight. Good luck!

ugh! poor little buddy. more free range time where the victim can run run away would be my personal solution. i like to use logs in the run to create little visual and physical distractions that allow a chicken to get out of the line of sight which is sometimes all thats necessary to halt a fight. Good luck!
Thank you for the answer, I did some see but not touch time bc I unfortunately can’t have them free range because of my dog but the problem is solved and she is part of them flock now😊

Back
Top Bottom