how do i stop my dang rooster from attacking me?

I'm having the same problem... hasn't attacked anyone but when I let them out in the mornings he kinda stomps up to me like he's trying to start stuff. Lol he's a rhode island red and I've been hearing they are normally aggressive. What should I do?

How old is your RIR? If he's just maturing, try to reestablish your place in his life, maybe twice or three times max. If he persists, the crock pot works great, or send him off to someone else who wants a nice dinner. Mary

When my guy got aggressive I was told to do this and seems to work. When my rooster gets close and gets all fluffed up he does not expect you to go after him. I simply bend over and then quickly grab him. Wing, foot or whole bird, whatever you can get a hold of. Straighten him out and just hold him for a while. He won't peck try to fight because he is defeated. Talk to him and pet him. Put him down in a few minutes and he will avoid you for the rest of your visit. Do it every time he shows his mean side. He will be less interested in you after he "gets it" that your the boss.

When my guy got aggressive I was told to do this and seems to work.  When my rooster gets close and gets all fluffed up he does not expect you to go after him.  I simply bend over and then quickly grab him.  Wing, foot or whole bird, whatever you can get a hold of.  Straighten him out and just hold him for a while.  He won't peck try to fight because he is defeated.  Talk to him and pet him.   Put him down in a few minutes and he will avoid you for the rest of your visit.  Do it every time he shows his mean side.  He will be less interested in you after he "gets it" that your the boss.

Pretty much what I have done... When I get a roo that is starting to challenging me, I grab him and dangle him upside down by his feet while I go about my business or just walk around with him dangling upside down for 10 or 15 minutes... Most roos 'get it' after a few of these treatments and keep their distance and stop challenging me, the others end up a recipient of a Darwin Award...

Back
Top Bottom