How do I stop my Dog from stealing the eggs?

Bugdude

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
I have a 1 /12 yo mini pin that has discovered where Eggs come from and He loves them. Ive thought long and hard on a solution but im at a loss.
There is no possible way that I can make the door to the coop too small for him to get into. The chickens stand taller than him

I have thought about stuffing the eggs with something hot or nasty tasting, the only downside is that from my reading it seems that a dog will smell the stuff before they taste and know not to take that egg..

Ive thought of like a trap door that raises under the dogs weight and not the chickens..
Even maybe a electric collar with one of those invisible fences..

Has anyone had this problem with a small dog? and how did you stop it?

Ultimatly I want to be able to let the chickens run free without having to worry about the dog stealing my eggs. As it is now I cannot lock the dog inside while im at work, so the chickens are missing out on free range time until I get home to let them out, but by then its dark so they dont leave the coop. I would prefer not having to divide up my backyard with fences as I only have about 1/4 acre and im in the city.

Last edited:
If you can't keep your dog in the house while your at work, then get a dog house and chain to control your little egg thief...It appears you can't have free range chickens and your pet dog running loose, thats if you want to get any eggs..! If you can't handle chaining/penning your dog, then you can't have free range chickens....either the chickens or the dog has to go on "lock-down " IMO...

Take a couple of eggs, take a syringe loaded with jalapeno pepper juice and inject it into the small end after inserting the needle carefully. Leave the eggs where the dog usually steals them from and PRESTO, instant doggie deterant!
wink.png

You truly do have a problem. I have never heard of anyone breaking a dog from eating eggs once it starts. It sounds like you have a great invention in the works! I hope it all turns out well.
Steve

We had the same problem with our schnoodle. He would raid the layer boxes before we could get to them.

Solution: Close the bottom of the "Mr. Ed" door and add a pop-door up high with a cross hatch ladder that he can't negotiate. It is working like a charm. Here's a pic of the house.

COE062.jpg

Now the cat, dog and 6 pullets have playtime everyday while the rest of us are at work and school. The little ladies just excuse themselves to the house when they need to lay. Once they're done they can come back out and join the fun.

Back
Top Bottom