How do I stop this!

Backyardchickenmama6

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2021
Hi I have a chicken who i got yesterday no friend and all my chickens have been picking on her pulling out feathers biting her comb and making it scab up and cut I’m really worried I don’t know how to stop it I only have one coop in one area and if I left her outside or watch any of the chicken outside they would my dogs would eat them by the way I have six chickens I had five now I have six because of the new one any ideas on how to stop it? I don’t know how they could be overcrowded because I have a good size coop for the chickens it’s hanging you so it’s not really big but it has plenty of room for six chickens it’s got six nesting boxes the majority of the time they all snuggle up so I can’t coup problems or dietary problems thank leave something Ideas Also if you were thinking it’s Toy problems it’s not I made plenty of toys for them today and they do not use it at all!

To have chickens, one needs at least one housing alternative for a number of reasons. Quarantining, separating bullies, sick birds, broodies, babies, injured birds, etc..
You can stop it by finding a predator proof location whether that be a garage, basement, dog run or whatever, to put the bullies while the new bird gets acquainted with the more docile birds.
I assume this post means you didn't quarantine the new bird.
What would you do if all your birds started getting sick?

To have chickens, one needs at least one housing alternative for a number of reasons. Quarantining, separating bullies, sick birds, broodies, babies, injured birds, etc..
You can stop it by finding a predator proof location whether that be a garage, basement, dog run or whatever, to put the bullies while the new bird gets acquainted with the more docile birds.
I assume this post means you didn't quarantine the new bird.
What would you do if all your birds started getting sick?
The thing is all of the birds are being rude to her so I don’t know what to do about that I can’t put them in the garage because they will get the garage all dirty and plus I don’t have enough room in the garage I don’t have a basement or a dog run or anything like that I don’t have a preditor proof location except for there and I would have a dog run if my dog Luna was not a kennel trained dog and we could use that kennel for her the chicken soo idk what to do and I don’t have a rooster so there would be no reason for baby area and my chickens haven’t got sick yet but I’ll take that quarantining idea in the hand and I will tell everybody in the house so we should get something for that because that is actually very true if your birds do get sick thank you for your idea I just saw the bottom of your post on the new bird we bought was actually very healthy tractor before putting her I just saw the bottom of your post the new bird we bought was actually very healthy I checked her before putting her in the chicken run she was fine she didn’t have any problems with her we had when we put her near everyone the first chicken picked out her head and then when we bring her to everyone else they were just biting at her so I did not quarantine the new bird my birds are not sick right about now so if they do get sick we do have a vet that specializes in chickens nearby he specializes in horses chickens and pretty much any animal so I’m not scared about them getting sick so yeah

Last edited:
Chickens are territorial. They will see any new bird as a threat. You need to give them time to get use to each other. This can be done by making a fence or cage where the new bird can be seen, but not touched. Give it a week or so then set the new bird on the roost beside the other birds. Have multiple spots to eat drink and hide when you put them together.

Chickens are territorial. They will see any new bird as a threat. You need to give them time to get use to each other. This can be done by making a fence or cage where the new bird can be seen, but not touched. Give it a week or so then set the new bird on the roost beside the other birds. Have multiple spots to eat drink and hide when you put them together.
I test that thanks for the advice and also I have one last question how can I stop my birds from going under sheds and stuff like that like the lake we’ve tried like putting some chicken wire they just would go under it and so that didn’t work and we don’t know what to do about that we don’t want them to stay under there because it’s not their ideal placement and we don’t want them to lay eggs out there

Last edited:
I test that thanks for the advice and also I have one last question how can I stop my birds from going under sheds and stuff like that like the lake we’ve tried like putting some chicken wire they just would go under it and so that didn’t work and we don’t know what to do about that we don’t want them to stay under there because it’s not their ideal placement and we don’t want them to lay eggs out there

Good fences are critical for keeping chickens where you want them and out of where you don't want them.

I can't advise on free-ranging because I keep mine enclosed in a pen because I will NOT have them destroying my vegetable garden or my SIL's flowers (we share the property). :)

Good fences are critical for keeping chickens where you want them and out of where you don't want them.

I can't advise on free-ranging because I keep mine enclosed in a pen because I will NOT have them destroying my vegetable garden or my SIL's flowers (we share the property). :)
Well the just fly out idk what to do there fecne is about I’d say 2-3 feet tall?

Well the just fly out idk what to do there fecne is about I’d say 2-3 feet tall?

You'll need to raise your fence. My electric net is 48". I still get a few escapes, but not very often.

Usually chickens fly up to the top of the fence, sit on it, and then fly down rather than just flying over. Sometimes it helps to add something floppy on top that they can't perch on -- even thin strings.

You can fence out the underside of a shed by securely wrapping the base with wire. I have the base of my coop fenced as its elevated a few inches, big enough for chicks to get in and get lost under.

You can see the hardware cloth around the perimeter at the bottom, behind the concrete block steps:
coopc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom