How do I store all these eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IDIOT HUSBAND, Dec 9, 2009.

1. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    I haven't got this problem yet but it's coming. I have a cool dry place to store my eggs how long will they keep? I have heard up to four months but that seems very long to keep eggs. Thanks.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    four to six weeks bottom shelf of fridge...or freeze them in ice cube trays to thaw for later baking? Once frozen pop them out and store in a ziplock bag!

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I've been leaving them in a basket on the kitchen counter -- how long are they good there? I do mark the date I collect them on the egg, so I know which ones to use up first.

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    If I don't use them within a week off the kitchen counter, I put them in the fridge until they are used. I don't get enough for them to pile up with all the egg-eating humans we have. When there is a cracked one, old one, or otherwise goofed up one I scramble it and give it back to the chickens.

5. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
  6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Quote:You can really freeze them? I'm assuming you mean crack them and put just the inside in the ice cube trays, without the shell, right? Do they really do well that way? I've tried freezing excess milk from my goats and it doesn't taste right when it thaws, plus it has a weird texture. I didn't think eggs would freeze well either. But if it works, that could be a good solution for storing up extra eggs for the winter.

7. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    Thank you all for your time and information. You are all very appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by