How do I take a week old chick to the vet?

Georgetownchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
I have a chick that is a little over a week old. It is having problems walking and I am going to take it to a vet that treats chickens. How do I transport it? What about the heat lamp? I live in Texas so it is not that cold outside, tomorrow the high will be 70 but I worry about it getting cold while we are gone.

Thanks!

Make sure your vet is an avian vet, most veterinarians have limited bird knowledge, so you've got to make sure it's a vet that knows birds.

In my experience, taking a chick to the vet was a waste of time and money. The visit was $95 and in the end the avian vet wanted me to put the $3 chick on a round of $400 medications, and she really couldn't even tell me what she thought was wrong with him, or if the medication was actually going to save or help him. When I chose not to, she charged me $60 to put the chick down...I left feeling sad for losing the chicken, sad for not having $400 for medication for the chick, and angry that I had just spend $155 to put a chick down when I could have just had my husband take care of it when he got home from work [but these were my first chickens and I loved them so much I couldn't bear to not take them to the vet first]

If you're going to transport, I'd just put it in a box with a towel, or wrap one of those hand warmers in a kitchen towel and put it in the box with the chick.

GL.

Hi! When ever I have transported young chicks, I have always carried at least 2 so the 1 doesn't get lonely. Since it won't be that cold where you are, if someone is going with you, they could just hold them in a box on their lap. That should keep them warm enough. If not, I have used the single use hand warmers or a bottle of warm water. Just make sure there is enough room for them to get away from the heat source if they get too warm and if using a water bottle, strap it down so that it doesn't roll over a chick! Good luck! I hope you get a good diagnosis from your vet.

Back
Top Bottom