How Do I tame a guinea?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by sophiesmith, Dec 24, 2013.

1. sophiesmith

sophiesmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Van Wert, OH
    Like it says ^ there. How do I tame a somewhat old guinea? He is about 9 months old. His name is Spike. He lives with the chickens and is watching over the flock.[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Guinea fowl are far closer to wild birds in nature than are chickens. Feed can be the great motivator, but don't count on him becoming your best buddy. A male Guinea fowl showed up here 6 or 7 years ago. When he first arrived he was like a wild bird. Once he learned that I was the provider of feed, his personality improved. He would eventually fly up on the deck railing every morning and scream us awake demanding that I feed him. After several years a fox caught him one snowy day.

3. sophiesmith

Aug 11, 2012
    Van Wert, OH
    [​IMG]sorry about the fox part though. Thank you for the info.

4. casuarius

casuarius Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    NC
    Hatch it from a egg or buy it as a chick and hand raise it. Dont keep it with other Guineas if you want it really tame.

5. sophiesmith

Aug 11, 2012
    Van Wert, OH
    Thank you. I love your profile picture.

6. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Lots of treats when they are young. Mine like lettuce, thawed frozen peas and corn (do not use canned as there is too much salt), cut up grapes or cherry tomatoes and unsalted peanuts (when younger take them out of the shell, when older they love to crack the shell and take the nut for themselves). You will have them eating out of your hands and coming out to meet you in no time!

7. milad goudarzi

milad goudarzi New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    pirce?

8. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    Can you describe what you mean by tame? Are you looking for something to come and sit on your lap or one that will just come in to roost at night? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by