how do i tame my chicken??

fowlfriend98

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
hello, i have 8, five month old chickens that i got last month.
i would very much like to be able to pick them up and pet them.
i can pet a few of them every now and then but they run away.
how would i be able to tame them??? please help.
barnie.gif
D.gif

Just keep at it. Lots of attention, treats and petting when they will let you. Some chickens will become very tame and even enjoy being held and petted, others, though tame, will never enjoy being caught and held.

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! With older chicks just spending lots of time hanging out them and bringing them out treats / food they like as a routine will help. Keep doing it and you'll probably find a lot of them will start to become as tame. They won't come up to you right away but if they start to associate you with food they will certainly get friendlier. Most birds, including chickens, don't really like to be petted the occasional one does or at least doesn't mind it. They will usually get used to being picked up, especially if you do it at night, once they get more used to you and most will climb on you if you are sitting on the grass with them feeding them, some will fly or jump on you for food. Here is a thread with a good post on taming older birds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/813326/how-to-socialize-tame-a-timid-hen

I was also thinking about getting two or three call ducks, could they live with my hens? If so do they a different kind of food? Or could they eat the same food as the hens?

Back
Top Bottom