how do i tell her no way?!

agnes_day

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
oklahoma
ok..we are FINALLY closing on this house in 2 weeks..we have waffled back and forth but we are doing it now..BUT there is huge problem. apparently there is a bad leak under the house, and thats not the issue. the plumber told my landlady/person we are buying from that the water needs to be pumped out. her solution?
she wants her husband, who has damaged so much here with his horrible attempts at home repair to take a drill or sledgehammer and smash a hole in the foundation to let it drain!!! that to me seems like the worst idea ever and i am trying to get it through to her that we will pay for someone to pump it out but now shes getting all insulted about it..how do i tell her that we will not buy the place if she does this without making it worse?
my husband already had to redo the wiring because this guy put every outlet in upside down, he left live wires hanging down, and connected things that werent meant to be connected and created a huge fire hazard so i can just only imagine how this will be.
i really do like this house, and the price is good and i love the neighborhood and all..but that just sounds like a bad idea.

OMG, don't let him touch anything else! Yes, tell her you will NOT buy the house if he tries any more "repairs." Our first house was like that, full of ridiculous fixes by the previous owners; we spent a lot of time and money making things right.
Congrats on the house!!
celebrate.gif

Are you working through a realtor? All repairs should be made BEFORE the closing. And then there should be a one year clause that if anything breaks, the insurance covers it.

she is selling to us directly..we are using a title company and its going to have a deed and all of that..its not one of those rent to own things and she did say she will pay for all repairs before we close but that means shes wanting to be cheap about it and do this..no way though, i emailed her and told her that we will even pay for the pump if its that big of a deal but we wont sign a thing if they touch the foundation. her husband is really stupid...thats mean but he is! and whats worse is she gets mad if she thinks anyone is picking on him..
roll.png

Quote:
I agree with this!

Punching a hole in the foundation would null and void a sale for me! I'm not buying a house with holes in it!

thats what my husband said too..i might talk to the attorney that is in charge of the whole deal..i mean, i cant believe she even said this and acted like it was a good idea. she even said i could have my son take a sledgehammer out there and just bash a hole to drain the water..riight.
smack.gif
smack.gif
th.gif

Quote:
In that case, tell her you will take care of this repair. Maybe you can even negotiate XX amount off the price of the house to cover the repair, or ask for them to cover part of your closing fees or something.

i told her that..its a pride thing! why she has to be so ignorant about her husbands shortcomings is beyond me. i mean, there are things my husband simply cant do and i am ok with that.
well, she better not even send him over here with his drill or the deal is off. she already paid to get the abstract, attorney and everything else and i would hate to back out at the very last minute but there is no way i would even go for this.

We got roped into hiring a guy my husband knew to be the contractor for our house... It was a terrible decision, and 75% of our outlets are upside down too, and we don't have enough! Do what's right for you and your family, look out for your best interests! Be clear!

Back
Top Bottom