How do I tell if an egg is still good?

ceegeeque

Chirping
7 Years
May 18, 2014
Today, I found 2 white eggs on the ground inside the chicken run. I have one new young chicken that has just started laying. She is the only white egg layer. I have found some in the nesting box but today I found these in a corner of the chicken coup run. Don't know how I missed them before.

Last edited:
You can get an idea by putting it in a glass of cool water. If it floats, toss it. If it stays on the bottom, it should be OK.

If you crack a truly bad egg, you will know it immediately.

welcome-byc.gif

First, sniff test. If it smells rotten, it's rotten and dispose of it accordingly.

Next, shake it gently. If it's sloshy or sounds only partially full, dispose of it.

The float test doesn't really tell if an egg is "bad', just if it's not as fresh. Eggs lose moisture as they age, so older eggs will float while fresh eggs will sink. Older eggs aren't necessarily bad. Unless it literally bobs on top of the water, I'd crack it in a separate dish and see how it looks. If the quality just doens't look good, like the yolk is runny or something, go ahead and toss it. It's not "bad" in that it's spoiled or will make you sick, it's just lost enought quality you probably won't want to eat it.

Welcome! "When in doubt, throw it out" are words to live by when it comes to food quality. How much does one egg cost? How much fun is food poisoning? If the egg sinks in water, try cracking it in a bowl and see how it looks and smells. Or just throw it out instead. Mary

Welcome! "When in doubt, throw it out" are words to live by when it comes to food quality. How much does one egg cost? How much fun is food poisoning? If the egg sinks in water, try cracking it in a bowl and see how it looks and smells. Or just throw it out instead. Mary

ITA with Folly!

I agree with you. I am from the generation where you didn't throw anything out (72 yrs old). But that is what I did. I scrubbed them with hot water & soap and a mushroom brush; did the water test. I then hard boiled them. When peeled, they smelled and looked just fine but I couldn't bring my self to eat them. Since then, she has layed only in the nest box. She is going to be my best layer. I have 9 chickens. I inherited 4 when I bought this house --one Astrolop, one Plym. Rock, one golden sex link, one New Hampshire (or Rhode Island) red. I am not sure of their age..but they are laying. In September, I purchased 5 chicks (1 gold and 1 black Sex Link, 2 Ameraucanas, 1 California White). About a month ago they started laying. They are all sooo much fun!

Everyone, thanks for the great advice!

Back
Top Bottom