How do I tell if my eggs are fertile?

Chickenluv22

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2018
USA
I have some older birds and a bunch of younger ones who are about 10 months old. I also have a 10 month old rooster who started mounting the hens a while ago and ever since I saw him do that I'm afraid all my chickens eggs are fertile. :hmm Is there any way I can tell if they are fertile from the outside, I've tried candling but idk how to tell.

Incubate a few and follow the guide on this link. It shows what to expect in the first few days if they are fertile.
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/hatching-chicken-eggs.html

Not able to tell from the outside.
Of course if you eat your eggs, then you can see this.
fertile-eggs21.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-2_23-5-2.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-2_23-5-2.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I also wonder why you're 'afraid they're fertile.' And if you have some reason you don't want to eat fertile eggs, then why did you keep a rooster? Most of us eat fertile eggs all the time. In fact, last year, one BYC member put a Walmart egg in her incubator and it hatched! As I said, most of us eat them whether we know it or not.
You won't be able to tell without looking at the yolk, a very tiny difference as you see in the photos in post #2.

Thanks everyone. I think I'd be afraid of eating a fertile egg because I'd feel like I was eating a baby chick. I'm sort of vegetarian lol.

Back
Top Bottom