How do I train my homing pigeons to come back to there coop

Well first off, how old are they? Did they fly at thier old coop? If they did fly at their old coop OR are more than 8months old, you need to keep them locked up inside their coop for atleast 2 months preferibly longer. If possible, let them raise some young and fly the young. Do you have them yet? A little more info would be nice. Oh and welcome to byc!

I'm not sure how old they are but I know their adults I forgot to ask the person we got them from the exact age. Yes I have had them since August but I just moved them in my barn for the winter yesterday. They don't even lay eggs so I can't let them raise young.

Pigeons arent like chickens where they lay an egg a day. They will pair up at 5-6 months of age then build a nest and lay two only two eggs and incubate them 17-18 days. Both parents incubate. They hatch altricual so they NEED the parents to brood them. Its posdible to raise them by hand if your experienced enough but its rarely succesful. How many do you have? If you keep moving them back and forth from coop to barn your going to have a tough time settling and flying them. They will just try to get back in their old coop. Do they sqeak now or when you got them? If so, they are PROBABLY settled to the first coop before you put them in the barn. And before you take them in the car and release them (tosses) you should loft fly first. Do you have a pigeon trap door? Its not a must but is sure helpful. Does this help? Any more qeustions? Pictures of your setup would sure help.
I'm not sure how old they are but I know their adults I forgot to ask the person we got them from the exact age. Yes I have had them since August but I just moved them in my barn for the winter yesterday. They don't even lay eggs so I can't let them raise young.

I only have 6 pigeons this is my first time owning pigeons only 2 of the pigeons are homing pigeons. I plan on leaving them in the cage that's in the barn maybe moving it in front of the barn if it gets to hot. I did not hear them sqeak but after we moved them. And when you said having them in a car I don't understand can I just leave the door open after their all trained and will return to the coop?

Yes you can leave the door open to the coop for them to return. Youll just have to train them by pushing them through it first. And i meant with the car when you take them say 30 miles away, release them, and they will fly home. Its called training tosses. What are the other pigeons breed?
I only have 6 pigeons this is my first time owning pigeons only 2 of the pigeons are homing pigeons. I plan on leaving them in the cage that's in the barn maybe moving it in front of the barn if it gets to hot. I did not hear them sqeak but after we moved them. And when you said having them in a car I don't understand can I just leave the door open after their all trained and will return to the coop?

Back
Top Bottom