how do I train my new pullets to roost on the branch I put in the coop?

Mov1estar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Bellaire Tx
I'm a new member and chicken Dad. I got my two Road Island Reds from a feed store. They had been raise on the ground their whole life. They are starting to sleep in the nest. how do I get them to sleep on the roosting branch?

At night when it's dark move them to the branches. They will eventually figure it out. Congrats new chicken dad :)

Make sure the nest is lower than the branch..... Or the branch is higher than the nests.... If need be give them something inbetween height for them to hop on to get to the branch. Then close off the nests at bed time. I personally would rather them sleep on the floor than in the nests.

Once they get the hang of Branch roosting you wont have to close off the nests at bed time.

Good luck

deb

Oh and for what its worth My roosts were five feet off the ground for the Wellsummers with an intermediate roost about three feet up. All of them roosted on the top one. Wellies are a big bird not HUGE like an Astralorp but big girls. My roos stood as tall as my knee. Almost all had no trouble getting down. Takes about six feet of flappin to hit the ground for them. I kept thick bedding to pad the landing spot.

The exercise is good for them. Just my opinion. That and a couple of bucks and you can get a cup of coffee.... LOL.

deb

Last edited:

Not all chickens sleep in a roost
wink.png

And it is not just the breed just a habit
hu.gif

These lady's would rather sleep with the rest of them ...

I have to manually put this pair in here or they sleep on
the swamp cooler ..
wink.png

The most important thing is up high to avoid the Bob-Cat
he.gif

Any more questions ...
highfive.gif

gander007
old.gif

Will the smell start to draw critter in
Smell, Activity, and sounds.... I lost my whole flock to coyotes.... Cascade failure on my part. But I have mountain lion, Bob cat, coyotes, Owls, Hawks, Raccoons, etc... as predators. The worse ones are local dogs.... They only kill for the thrill not because they are hungry.

Raccoons will pull heads and legs off right through chainlink.... Hardware cloth is your friend especially in areas where the chickens my roost up next to chainlink or welded wire.

Bob cats will go right up a tree after chickens.... My neighbor has seen one haul a goat over a six foot fence.

deb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom