How Do I Trap A Black Snake?

can you hear me now?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Southwest Missouri
Hello all, I think I have a blacksnake eating my newly hatched and bought chicks. Looked in the chickenhouse and not seen any way that any other predator can get in. Am looking for a good answer to find out how to trap a blacksnake and relocate it somewhere that it doesn't eat chicks. Any ideas are welcome.
smile.png

I think ive seen online these sticky boards that you can lay down on the ground then when they try to cross them they get stuck. Good Luck!!

Mrs.H :

I think ive seen online these sticky boards that you can lay down on the ground then when they try to cross them they get stuck. Good Luck!!

If those are what I am thinking of, I wouldn't reccommend using them. What I'm thinking of will either cause them to rip their skin and insides off/out or starve to death. You really can't peel them off. But they may not be the same.​

Quote:
If those are what I am thinking of, I wouldn't reccommend using them. What I'm thinking of will either cause them to rip their skin and insides off/out or starve to death. You really can't peel them off. But they may not be the same.

I am thinking it is probably about four and a half feet or larger, not sure would be a good idea to try if it would peel out the insides.

If you're into catching it, put a heavy sheet of black plastic (rubber) (small-2' x 2'?) down on the ground in an area near the coop that gets a lot of sun, and wait maybe a week. the snake will probably start to hang out under there, because they LOVE the heat from the black plastic. Then, if you've lifted the board a few times and know he's under there, come one day with gloves and a big net and cloth sack, and move him somewhere far away.

Yes, this is the animal-kindness method. It sounds sort of unlikely, but it DOES work!

O yeah, you can buy these, too:

www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page100.html

Sticky traps actually work great for snakes small enough, they get so stuck they arent able to do much harm to themselves, and a little bit of vegetable oils is all thats needed to get them off. They can be dangerous though because anything that touches it will get stuck so it must be checked a few times a day. A cheap way to make large traps is to get a big plank of wood and wrap duct tape with the sticky side out around it. The black tark also works great, but it does so because the snakes feel comfortable and want to hide under it, and I have a feeling attracting snakes is not what you want to do. You can also catch them by making a minnow trap of sorts, late a 2 liter bottle and cut the top off where it starts to narrow, put it back together inside out so the opening is on the inside. Its easy to get in but nearly impossible to get out. Snakes follow walls or fencelines, they do not like being out in the open, which means they are vulnerable to predators. Any trap you make put at a corner or alongside a wall. Ratsnakes are probably the most common your going to deal with, and if given the choice they will climb so keep that in mind when setting traps or snakeproofind a place.

Another way to at least find out what is comming in and where its getting in is if you lock everything up at night, sprinkle some flour around the perimeter a few inches wide when you know its not going to rain or anything. Not always does it work but once in awhile you will be able to tell whats leaving tracks and where its sneaking in.

thanks so much. I am pretty sure I am dealing with a black rat snake and from what I hear not a small one. Hope it works am gonna try the flour and see if I can see what I can see. Only thing is it has to quit raining first. Rained all of last week and I am sick of the water.

Quote:
google eel pot it is a really big minnow trap they work pretty fair I catch a couple dozen cottonmouths a year in them. you can build one easily out of 1/2" hardware cloth and some pig/hog rings

Back
Top Bottom