How do I treat a hen with really bad vent gleet?

Hmm,did vet suggest anything for this "tumor" and i'm confused regarding she will be fine until skin breaks and infection sets in,did your vet actually tell you this? Did he/she not suggest any treatment options for this girl? Vet is positive that it is a tumor and not an abscess?

Last edited:
Hmm,did vet suggest anything for this "tumor" and i'm confused regarding she will be fine until skin breaks and infection sets in,did your vet actually tell you this? Did he/she not suggest any treatment options for this girl? Vet is positive that it is a tumor and not an abscess?

X2. I'd be very skeptical of that info. What tests did they do to come up with their diagnosis? Even if that is a correct diagnosis, how humane would that be to allow her to sit around in this condition until the skin breaks open and infection sets in? I guess I just can't imagine any decent vet suggesting such a thing without also making some treatment recommendations.

The vet put the hen on her back and said she could feel an obvious tumor (very hard round lump) and just suggested to put a cream such as sudocrem to protect the swollen area.

To clarify, the vet had been on holiday, and was very apologetic for not replying earlier.

This is an old ex-battery hen, no longer laying, and has presented like this for about a year now.

She's a real character, as has always had an awkward gate (long before the condition was noticeable), and as awful as the condition looks she still has a good appetite, and appears happy in herself, etc.

I could go for a 2nd opinion, but consultations are expensive, and it's a well established countryside vet who I'd hope would be experienced enough recognise a tumor/cyst?

The vet did say that there was a probability the tumor would grow further and the skin would eventually spilt....and that would be the time to consider having her put down (assuming she remains happy in the mean time).

I assume she is just being realistic in terms of balancing treatment implications and cost, with the age of the bird, etc.

Last edited:
This is very important info that your bird has had this for a year. Info such as this should have been included in initial post. In light of this new info,then yes it very well could be a tumor.

I would stick a needle in it and see if you can aspirate anything out of it. If its an infection, even an older one, it could be drained. I would give an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 daily and keep it clean. Also give yogurt and probios...ACV and all that. If it aspirates pus, you may be able to clean it out and prolong her life. If its a tumor or a cyst she may be able to live with it. Give us an update.
I would not hesitate to see whats inside of it. Maybe its just a hematoma.
Most vets are total rip-offs...honestly; a vet that doesnt even want to try to stick a needle in it to see whats inside isnt really worth his or her salt.

Back
Top Bottom