How do I treat sick hen with new chicks?

Amy Nelson

Hatching
Jun 2, 2022
I had a hen hatch her chicks over the last two days in the henhouse. Egg box is elevated so I moved them to a protected fenced in area where chicks could walk around. When I picked up the hen off the nest clear fluid spewed out of her mouth and horrible smelling diarrhea came out of the other end. (Yellowish brown) I loved her and she gathered her chicks and was pecking at the chick started a bit. Then she went outside the igloo house and gathered her chicks under her but then was breathing with her mouth open. (Not hot) Her body weight seems normal but I had the same breed do similar a few o the back and she slowly declined and died. I'd like to save this one. What med/dose/route? I don't think I can get oral in her. I gave a shot of An antibiotic to a hen once years ago and it immediately died. I'm a nurse and have a degree in animal science so I can certainly give a shot but maybe I gave it the wrong med? Now I'm gun shy about choosing one. (Can't remember what med I gave at that time) TIA!!

Sorry I should have proofread. I MOVED her off the nest and the other sick hen was a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom