How do I use spent grain as a supplement?

Hi everyone. A neighbor whose husband brews his own beer just gave me a garbage bag full of spent grain from his brewing process. It's been sitting for 2 days, and I immediately put it into the refrigerator, because I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. I've been researching and lots of sites say to add enzymes to it in order to feed it to the hens, but nowhere can I find specific enzyme to grain ratios to use, nor can I locate information that tells me what these enzymes are or where to obtain them. Any help here would be great! Basically I have 3 questions.
1. Can I even use the spent grain as it's been sitting for 2 days, and if so, is refrigerating it the way to store it?
2. Where can I get the enzymes I'm supposed to add?
3. How much enzyme per cup/pound/?? of grain do I mix in?

Again, any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Uffdaa
I would ask your local mill or elevator. They should know as they deal in grain and mixing feed.

My brother in law brews. He puts it in ziplock bags and freezes it. I then just throw em a block when I feel like it, or if it's hot. They love it. Gives em something to do also. Chooks love it.

If it's in a huge frozen chunk. Take to it with a power saw, chainsaw, or hand saw of some kind. If not frozen just divide it up. Freeze it into smaller portions. You're all set. 2 days won't matter unless it's mouldy or smells mouldy.

You must freeze or dry it.

Spent grains evidently have a lot of nutrient value, but if you are not a ruminant, you can't digest them properly without additional enzymes added to the feed.

The only 'recipe' I've found says a combination of mylase, xylanase, β-glucanase, lipase, cellulase, β-mannanase, phytase, and pectinase, at 0.1%. You can get some of these enzymes from homebrew suppliers.

Back
Top Bottom