1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do large breeding companies know what gender the chicks are so early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MarshallPrime, Mar 28, 2016.

1. MarshallPrime

MarshallPrime Out Of The Brooder

When I order chicks from a large breeder, I can get chicks bases on gender (10 female and 2 male) in some cases, not straight run, and they know the gender. When I go to tractor supply or Big R they have pullets that are like 90% accurate they say to be female. Last year I got 5 easter eggers and got 4 pullets and 1 roo so 80% in that case but I digress.

How do they know that? I know some are auto sexing like my legbars and black sex linked and isa browns and such. But how do they know for the other breeds? Bared Rock or New Hamp Reds or Easter Eggers or whatever the breed.

Just curious.

thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Breeds that aren't sex linked are vent sexed. They have very highly skilled and highly paid people that turn the chick upside down, squeeze out some poop and look for the male sex organs in the vent. It takes years to get really good at it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Day old chicks are vent sexed at the hatchery by trained 'screeners' with approximately 90% accuracy.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Like minds.

5. MarshallPrime

MarshallPrime Out Of The Brooder

Ok, there we go. Thanks for the answers. I had no idea.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I saw an episode of the Dirty Jobs show where they tried to teach Mike how to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by