How do people afford this?

Pics
We manage it by first owning our farm, no mortgage payment or anything. We keep our bills quite low, ie for a family of six we spend about $275 a month on food, we spend about $100 a year on heating, $1,200 a year on electric.

I can fix most anything so all my tractors, bulldozer, backhoe, dump truck, vehicles etc were all non working junk when I bought them and I repaired them myself on the cheap. Most of my equipment dates back to the 40's and 50's some of it clear back into the 1800's. I have had to get pretty creative, I gave up on updraft carbs so I designed a simple piece of plate metal with two holes drilled and a tube welded beneath connecting them. Around one hole I drilled holes to mount where an updraft carb would mount and around the other I drilled holes to accept a mid seventies downdraft carb which I could still get a kit for unlike the old updraft. Things like this have allowed me to acquire my equipment on the very cheap. On our last farm I put in everything from the driveway to the sewer and drain field, the electric, a mobile home, built all the outbuildings with an old Alaskan mill that I made etc. I run down to the local livestock auction about every three months and I buy a 600 to 800 pound boar hog and I buy them for anywhere from a dollar for the hog up to 1 cent a pound which is $6 to $8 for a 600 to 800 pound boar. I haul it home and slaughter out 350 to 450 pounds of pork which covers our meat. I trade off some of that meat for elk, deer, moose etc for some variety. We also raised a milk goat herd for many years which supplied us about 5 to 20 gallons of milk a day depending on time of year and how big we let the herd get.

While we are worth a bit as far as the farm goes, cash wise we are pretty poor, but we have never been short of food and our kids have grown up free and healthy. They also grew up poor enough that they are quite motivated to get out and work and make money. The wife and I wanted our kids to turn out as much like us as possible and so it made sense to raise them as we were raised. I admit there has been many a time I missed working advanced electronics making more money than I knew what to do with, but after this 20 year break raising our kids and them all adults or near adults now, it is clear to me it has been a worthwhile investment.

Last edited:
We live frugally so I can stay home while my husband works a good job. No big secret. Our house is smaller, but our place is larger. Pays to pay your bills first, save and get out of debt asap. We also waste no money eating out, buying gifts or going on vacations. All depends on your priorities in life.

I do the same old hen, hubby works part time at the grocery store, no employee discount though, we just earn reward points. It's all about making the most of what you have. Yes starting out is hard, but if this life was easy everyone and their mom would be homesteading. It helps to have no electricity cause of no bill, and hopefully my garden will produce( the neighbor has a much better one than mine discouraging) . What kind of homestead fo you have, what are your biggest financial woes? Maybe we can help

My jeep is also 17 years old. No AC or heat. and I shop at goodwill when I need to cave to the shopping urge.
My Jeep is 12 years old , my 1990s one wouldn't have made the trip. Have you had any overheating problems? Seems to be what happens to most of my jeeps, on #3 the 1990 was my favorite. What type of jeep do you have? I have a commander currently.

Above is a good verse, but... I would caution the reader against confusing that with the "gospel of wealth" as is preached by some churches. God does take care of His people, in ways that we can barely begin to fathom, understand, or appreciate. But, he does not promise me that if I put money in the offering plate, that I will become financially rich.

Beware, THINGS can own you.

Luke 16:13 "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

And such can drive people away from church as well. For the past 5 to 6 years everytime I step I to a chapel, it's a tithing sermon. It gets frustrating having churches yell or tell you if your a true believer you would find it in your heart to put him before your wallet... I'm not overly religious and cant quote biblical verses but doesnt God help them who help themselves? It doesnt help anything to empty your pockets for a church. If you worship cool, if you dont no problem, but don't cry poor when you're giving most of your money in a collection plate when you can be worshipping at home and spending money in your own way on bibles bookmarks and learning tools you dont need a corporate church for.. wow went off there sorry yall!

Thank y'all for all the responses. I am a current college student struggling with what I truly want to do with my life. All the money I get from my part time job goes to bills and savings. It just seems like I do not have enough time to study and work, but I would love to open my own business.
You will get there, hang I thee if you need help studying see if you can find a study group,online . Opening your own business is very hard and if your in college and homesteading, struggling to find time for noth where will the time come from for your bussiness right now? All things at the right time.

What do you use on your windows? I have ... cleaning window issues lol

I wish :fl
1) we grow,forage and eat very little meat.
2) We bake. Our own bread ect.
3) I pay $5.00 a month on cleaning supplies. Vinegar, Baking Soda and blue dish soap.
4) We homeschool
5) We only buy toilet paper. I use cloth napkins,towels ect to clean, or use newspaper.
Animals
We free range. I go through little feed. Though they have access to feed 24/7 everyone would rather eat my landscaping.
I use hay from my field. I deep clean coops everyday, and put fresh hay in.
Our secret. Shhhh my husband's retired. I work from home most of the time. Even though I work. We try to keep a budget of less than $500.00 a month. If we can keep it around that. I can retire. Also we are putting most of my salary right now on major improvements. This way I hope by next spring I can retire. We try to live as self sufficient as we can. You can start small and really soon you can start to see your savings grow. We wanted out of Chicago when my husband hit 20 years and could retire. So we started killing bills one by one. No Cable. No eating out, movie night at home. With in that five years, we were able to save enough to make our dream come true. You have to make sacrifices and put hard work in. But if you want your dreams to come true, you have to work hard at it. I know you can do it!!!!!!:thumbsup

This!
I have a college education and my husband doesn't. We surprise each other regularly with the things we know and the things we don't know and the things we know how to do and the things we don't know how to do. Life experience is the best teacher. You should learn something (good or bad) from every experience you have in life. It's ok to fail at something, you haven't truly failed unless you didn't learn a thing from the experience. Also it doesn't have to be your own experiences, every person you encounter in life has their own unique set of experiences and you can learn from them as well.

Have a dream.
Make a plan to achieve that dream.
Break it down into small achievable steps.
Work on/towards these steps daily until you reach your dream.

Tell others about your dreams. Get excited about your dreams. Others will be excited for you and others will question you, but you will get great feedback regularly about how to get where you want to.
I love that PG

Back
Top Bottom