How Do Roosters Identify Hens?

I have 47 chickens, 5 of which are roosters. Which I read is a good ratio. They are are now 9 months old but this situation has been going on for a couple of months now.
The roosters are tearing up the hens!
They are missing their feathers on their backs, tails, back of the neck, they are getting cut.

There are a few hens that won't leave the coop and the roosters will congregate inside going after one or the other while the other roosters watch looking like they are waiting their turn (similar to gang rape I hate to say )😱

I don't know what to do about this situation. I had one hen slit from below her wing about 4 inches, and it was open about 2 inches. I could see her breast meat. I did get her healed up and she's good now but this is not good.

The roosters spurs are not even an inch long which I read they get much longer.
I'm ready to chase them all out of the coop/yard and out into the wild (or into the freezer).

Is there something I can do about this situation?
The main rooster has come at me several times, but I showed him who was in charge.
But every time I go into the coop he looks at me with that evil eye.

ps. please don't tell me to trim their nails. It would take 5 people to catch them and more to hold them while some one trims their nails, and I just can not see myself doing this. But if you want to come over and try you're more then welcome, and I would so appreciate that.

Last edited:
If you want to keep all of your roosters, can you separate them to another space until they get a bit older? This is the time where hormones are raging and they don’t know how to behave. Once they are over a year, you can take the most docile rooster and reintroduce him, see how it goes. And continue every week or so until they are all back together. You may find 5 is too many for your girls or when they get older & mellow out it might be ok. Your girls definitely need a break from them.

I have 47 chickens, 5 of which are roosters. Which I read is a good ratio.

The 1-10 ratio is about optimal fertility in a commercial breeding pen, not about behavior.

Having multiple roosters in the same pen CAN cause them to mate more energetically just because they're in competition.

ps. please don't tell me to trim their nails. It would take 5 people to catch them and more to hold them while some one trims their nails, and I just can not see myself doing this.

To do things like this the trick is to take them off the roost at night (use a dim, red headlamp).

I have 47 chickens, 5 of which are roosters. Which I read is a good ratio. They are are now 9 months old but this situation has been going on for a couple of months now.
They are missing their feathers on their backs, tails, back of the neck, they are getting cut.

There are a few hens that won't leave the coop and the roosters will congregate inside going after one or the other while the other roosters watch looking like they are waiting their turn (similar to gang rape I hate to say )😱

I don't know what to do about this situation. I had one hen slit from below her wing about 4 inches, and it was open about 2 inches. I could see her breast meat. I did get her healed up and she's good now but this is not good.

I'm ready to chase them all out of the coop/yard and out into the wild (or into the freezer).

The main rooster has come at me several times, but I showed him who was in charge.

ps. please don't tell me to trim their nails. It would take 5 people to catch them and more to hold them while some one trims their nails, and I just can not see myself doing this. But if you want to come over and try you're more then welcome, and I would so appreciate that.
Filing or cutting the tips won't stop gang raping or injuries only the nasty injuries like you described . I would make them a place of their own rather than allow the rape of my hens to go on. Good luck!

Absolutely horrible. They are very rambunctious at early age. I used to bandage their feet and toes. Uncomfortable? Better than any alternative. I say too bad. That will certainly save the hens until they behave

34b.PNG

Back
Top Bottom