How Do Roosters Identify Hens?

I think if a rooster has a lot of hens he's going to be more, shall we say polite. If he only has a few he might be a bit less discerning as to when and who he does. He may also find a favorite too but...

THey can recognize each other just the same way you can walk into a room of 50 people and know each one after you've been around them a little while.

Aaron

It might be best to keep the little girls seperate until about 20 weeks, the rooster will squish them. If you can visually recognize people of different ages and sex, there's no reason roosters can't within their own species and even other species.
My roo sniffs their vent like dogs do. If they hen is "ready", they'll then squat in submission.

Ive noticed that the squatting tends to start a week or so before they are getting ready to lay for the first time. If you got a young one and they start the squatting, you know they'll be laying in a week or so, at least that's what I have seen for the few dozen hens Ive had the privilege of working with, raising, etc etc.

Just be careful, because now that they have picked up the squats, Congrats !! you now have another mobile speed bump !!

Aaron

As long as that rooster does not try mounting my leg he can sniff whatever he wants to !

According to the audubon socieiety some birds posses some advanced senses of smell and some use it for mating purposes, but birds generally are not known for their keen smell abilities.

https://www.audubon.org/news/do-birds-have-sense-smell

I have found other research that hints that chickens Do use their smell a bit, but it's not as high on their abilities scale as some other creatures.

https://hencam.com/henblog/2014/02/a-chickens-sense-of-smell/

for the most part, seems the jury is still out on exactly what, how, and how sensitive a chickens smell is.
Aaron

My cats don't tolerate being dominated by dogs !
My dogs were terrified of the 8# cat! That cat would sit in their path and they would not dare pass. He'd also jump around the corners and scare the c*** out of them. Never a scratch, bite or argument. He would just spook them and run off quite proud and happy. It was the funniest thing😂

Our roo is super sweet. And definitely knows who is up for mating and who is not. He left the broody alone and seemed to know when Pink was sick. I was ultra concerned about having him (a Silkie) in with two Seramas and 2 Dutch bantams. I have yet to see him mate or be mean to them. Just the other day I saw him walk over the bantam. Like, did not step on, peck, mate or anything. He walked up, side stepped, she submitted and he walked right over her, with clearance. I figured it was similar to his mating the larger hens letting her know he is still boss 🤷I just LOVE watching the interactions between the roo and his girls. Those ladies certainly give him a workout trying to keep them all together. But they have places to go and minds of their own.

He even has me smitten🥰

When I wrote about chickens being able to smell, I was thinking about broody hen and her chicks. This summer I had two hens hatch out a chick each, and they always knew who belonged to who, even though the chicks hung out together.

I think what cues a rooster is red wattles and combs.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom