How do some places keep different breeds pasturing together while having purebred offspring?

I noticed that the apricot waterfowl preservation has videos on their Instagram of all of their ducks together outdoors; yet they offer show quality birds in multiple breeds. How do they manage this?

https://apricotvalleywaterfowl.com/
My guess is they seperate during breeding season and them let them all mingle during the off season

My guess is they seperate during breeding season and them let them all mingle during the off season
I agree, you just have to make sure to have them separated for some weeks before collecting the eggs for incubation (females can store the sperm, so they are able to produce fertile eggs for weeks even there are no drakes around anymore)

I thought this too but I could have sworn they had some ducks that lay pretty frequently all mixed together.

The group pictures seem to be winter pictures and I imagine they have a short season of laying because they are in Canada. It is recommended to separate a full month and I stand by that belief because I have had mixed babies still at around 30days from separating. Before I made a run for each breed I would sell mixed babies from test runs pulled at the end of the 30 days and still see some mixing. People that think a couple weeks is enough or people that just pick them out based on looks and assume they are pure need to rethink that. Some baby patterns are very strong but they don't end up looking pure when adult. Appleyards are a good example. Babies with a cute dark mohawk may be pure or may not.

Back
Top Bottom