How do we manage to get into these situations? Collected another "Slightly Damaged Stray"...

Bunny summed it up well. We had to move for Terry's health, and we didn't have a whole lot of time or money to do it in. We did what I thought was best for the horses. How very wrong I was. We should have just used the 1600.00 we are out and moved them with us.

So sorry to hear that it has been stressful for you and Gus. Hopefully he will put some weight on soon and you can get him trained.

If you have the energy I would recommend small claims court. And take lots of lots of pictures. I'm really sorry this happened. Good deeds always get punished. I know that's a backwards statement, but it's the truth. But keep your chin up, it'll turn around. It always does. I wish I knew more trainers that way. Or hell, just more horse people.

Right now I don't have the time for anything else. We're going to have to scrimp every cent so we can come back and get him. I think we'll try next week. Hoping we'll somehow be able to manage it next week.

We are called to care for all creatures, great and small - and to treat every living thing as a blessing - sooooo, marshmallow away! His life is worth every dime, every moment of frustration, imagine if we though of our animals as just as valuable as our children; no voice to tell us what they're feeling, helpless to fully care for themselves, He is your baby, and I can bet you will be well rewarded for your love and money...just as the previous owner will be. What we put out into the world, blessings or curses, comes back on us three fold...

Sorry for the seeming dullness here... but as a fellow horse owner, Im not sure I completely 'get it'. I understand how your poor boy ended up underweight and not trained due to that jerk... but I dont understand who is telling you he is not well enough to travel.
In most circumstances a vet would clear even an emaciated horse for travel for the long term best interest of the horse (disruptions in routine and housing is not helpful), as long as the horse had strengh enough to stand up for the trip... which a horse would have to be pretty darn poor not to be able to... like veterinary intervention poor.
On top of that, if the horse was removed from the bad situation and fed properly it should have it's strength back for a big trip in a matter of days. I am a background member of rescue forums where horses in dire need are transported long distances to get help and/or a new home.... and it's the stability of enviroment that is in their long term best interest for recovery.
So THATS why I am wondering who is advising you to have gone home and not brought your horses back? This sounds very unusual. Was it a vet?
You have a lot of support in this thread, which is great ... I just hope that asking some hard questions might help save you some heartache and money.
Heck.. if you end up short of cash for the return trip, check out some of the rescue groups on facebook... there are "Hitch-a-ride" programs meant to help horses in need. I dont see ANY reason why you ought to be forced to leave your horse in another state with someone who isen't a veternarian... he needs to be home or close to you where you can feed him up and keep an eye on him.

Just so you know I'm not some empty headed know it all... I had show horses as a kid, worked on a breeding farm as a teenager... have a show horse again and once again work at a farm 7 days/wk.
You did an awesome thing to save the horse and keep going with him... really.... I'm only writing this because I can empathize and am hoping for a good outcome for you.

Gus has been seen by his vet, and he and I both agree that he needs a break before the trip. He's home, in his pasture, with his stall, and Terry's uncle will feed him for a week. He's been through enough lately, I don't want to push him into anything else. We'll make the trip back up to get him, then he'll come to Florida for some quality time with me, feed, and then he'll go to training if we decide he needs more work. But after next week, for at least a month or so, he's just going to be my buddy.

I hope you were able to inform the vet how Gus came to be in his current condition. Word-of-mouth goes a long way in the horse training business, and a good vet won't ever recommend a trainer that is known to be abusive. Vets can't necessarily "trash talk" someone, but they can sure discreetly steer business elsewhere.

I hope Gus bounces back quickly. Give him some time to settle into his new home in Florida before you assess his training. He might surprise you. The bond between an owner and their horse can go a long way when the horse knows the basics... You may find he doesn't need 30-60-90 days of intensive daily training with a new trainer. He may do great with
once-monthly visits from a "traveling trainer" and you working consistently with him in between those visits.

Res, I plan to do just that.

As for the trainer, I've reported him to animal control, and word of mouth is already getting around.

Well, looks like the good lord is smiling on me. I was able to sell a large item for my old business partner. He wanted 1000.00, I got him 1800.00, and he gave me 800.00! So, I'm able to go get Gus and Ella. Terry and I are leaving tonight or tomorrow. I will feel so much better being able to see him. I know he's being we'll taken care of, and he's well guarded, (Terry's uncle has shot people before for a lot less than messing with my horse!) but I will still fell better when *I* am taking care of him again.

Back
Top Bottom