How do we manage to get into these situations? Collected another "Slightly Damaged Stray"...

Gus today. I still cry every time I look at him. I don't need anyone telling me its my own fault, I already know that.

But it is NOT YOUR FAULT.

YOU did not starve him. You sent him with someone, and paid them, and trusted that they would do right by Gus. It is HIS fault. He totally took advantage of the situation and the fact that you weren't around to visit.

You did the right thing by not selling Gus to him - could you imagine what would have happened then??????

You brought him home, and he will get over this, and I am sure he is thankful that he's home.

Would it be possible for the new trainer to come to your house to work with Gus? He could show you what you need to do, and you could work with Gus in between the trainer's visits.... Just an idea.

But it is NOT YOUR FAULT.

YOU did not starve him. You sent him with someone, and paid them, and trusted that they would do right by Gus. It is HIS fault. He totally took advantage of the situation and the fact that you weren't around to visit.

You did the right thing by not selling Gus to him - could you imagine what would have happened then??????

You brought him home, and he will get over this, and I am sure he is thankful that he's home.

Would it be possible for the new trainer to come to your house to work with Gus? He could show you what you need to do, and you could work with Gus in between the trainer's visits.... Just an idea.
x2

Hindsight is always 20/20, Em. You have done what many, many other horse owners have done - trusted someone without really checking up on them. It's a painful lesson, and I know it bites even harder because of where Gus has been so recently. I'm sorry for all of you.
hugs.gif

Sparky's son lives in Ocala, Fl. I'll be burning up the roads. For now, I'm just enjoying our time together until I have to go home, and he has to go train for real.

Well, we leave tomorrow. Going to have to let friends feed Gus and Ella until we can make the trip back. Just another waste of time and money. I'm afraid Gus is too thin to make the trip.

Em, you mentioned Ocala, FL? Is that where gus is?
My trainer is in Ocala. He is a truly gentle natural horsemanship trainer. He could give you and gus a closer bond and help him over his fears. He is on youtube. David Palacio.
I cant say enough good things about him but I know its hard for people to believe it anyway... just look him up... I have seen him in person do amazing things in short time spans by being so clear to the horse in a way they can really understand... I am so very thankful that I found him for my boy.

Em, you mentioned Ocala, FL? Is that where gus is?
My trainer is in Ocala.
Gus is in northern Mississippi. With all that has happened on this thread, perhaps the narrative has gotten a little confusing. The "home" that Em recently mentioned is the same one that it was at the beginning of the thread, Terry's place in Glen, Mississippi. At about the same time as Gus went to the trainer, Em and Terry moved to Saint Cloud, Florida (a little bit south of Orlando). A few days ago, they traveled from Florida back to Mississippi to get Gus (and Lilly's pony) and take him to Florida, but now it looks like Gus is too weak to make such a long journey. Sparky is a trainer than Terry and Em know in Mississippi, and they like him a lot, but he has retired (which is why Em couldn't send Gus to him in the first place). Sparky's son lives in Ocala and is a trainer; now it looks like Gus may be going to him when he gets sound enough to travel.

Last edited:
Bunny summed it up well. We had to move for Terry's health, and we didn't have a whole lot of time or money to do it in. We did what I thought was best for the horses. How very wrong I was. We should have just used the 1600.00 we are out and moved them with us.

Back
Top Bottom