How do we manage to get into these situations? Collected another "Slightly Damaged Stray"...

EmtheFishLady

We're all mad here
11 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Glen, MS
So Friday I got a phone call from a acquaintance of mine. His cousin has this horse...he's not been feeding it, and is going to shoot him if someone doesn't come pick him up TODAY. So like the suckers we are, MFB and I loaded up and drove out to get the guy. When we got there, pulled up to the fence, this skinny guy greeted me. Came right up to me and put his nose in my hand and looked at me with these sad eyes that practically begged for someone to help him. And that...is how "Gus" came home with us. (Cause we're both giant marshmallows.)

We were told he was a three year old, but our trainer said between five and six years old. He's a full stallion and had never been handled, never had a halter on or even a rope on him until we picked him up Friday. He's ran totally wild. The only time he had ever been in a trailer was when the guy bought him a year or so ago. The owner had him in a wooded area with little or no grass, no hay and said he "wasn't feeding the *&%$ thing" because he was tired of him and because he wouldn't stay in the pen. Now we are talking about a SINGLE strand of electric fence here, with three mares on the other side of the fence. (The mares were well fed. Gus basically got to see these other horses being fed while he starved to death in another pasture.) I hate mean stupid people.
He rushed us into getting him by threatening to let him starve or shoot him. Terry really wanted our cowboy trainer friend to take a look at him first, but he didn't get a chance before we had to pick Gus up. Anyway, he's got to be gelded and it's a $600 surgery. One testicle never dropped so not the quick cheap cutting we had planned. The training, feed and such we sorta figured on, but not a major vet bill on top of everything else... (Yeah, I'm an idiot.) He's at the trainer's right now, but he can't keep him there unless he's cut because of all the mares he has there. We can't keep him here because of our mare. So... What to do? The surgery is Tuesday...
Here's the really tough part. I am totally in love with him. He's a big, gentle boy. He didn't give us much trouble loading him although he was scared of the ride home. He's very intelligent. He'll come up to you, let you rub him, just very gentle for a intact male. We dropped him off at the trainers Friday evening. Within 5 minutes he had a rope on him, in 30 minutes he had a halter on him, in an hour he had the big boy on a lead and following him. He's a smart horse darn it. He's a Morgan/Percheron cross, very thin, his hooves are in terrible shape, but he seems to be in good health otherwise. Our trainer said he needed wormed, fed, hooves trimmed, worked and just shown a little attention and he'd be a good steady horse.
We just can't afford everything. I don't know... I hate to just see anything suffer and never given a chance.
Everyone I've spoken to about him says he's going to cost around 2 thousand dollars to get back into condition along with the gelding...most people just look at me like I'm completely insane...and I guess we are...but looking into those eyes I just had to give him a shot. The trainer summed it up best "He hasn't ever had a chance at life. He'd make a d*#$ good horse if anyone had ever given him half a chance." So anyway...we now have a rescue horse. Just another "Slightly Damaged Stray" at Whippoorwill Creek Farm.

Last edited:
You just HAD to go and name him didn't you?
roll.png

I still don't know who put the "collects slightly damaged strays" title on me..... but boy oh boy don't it fit?

If we get him in shape I think he'll be worth it. Maybe. At least he won't starve to death and he'll be feed, wormed, his feet fixed, trained and gelded. Poor feller deserves better than he's had so far in life. If people just shot everything that was in bad shape, I'd have already been shot. I know I do a lot of stupid things. Taking in this "free" horse is one of those stupid things. But I know I've done stuff a lot crazier and I sleep just fine at night and I'm not ashamed of the man I see looking back at me in the mirror each morning..
I might not have had we left him there....
Just sayin'

and Em? Can you spell plagu.... plage..... plaga..... never mind... I can't spell it either.
hide.gif

ep.gif
He's GORGEOUS!!! Bless you for taking him in.
hugs.gif
I understand how you feel, but its because of people like you these poor souls get a chance at life. I do the same here, only with smaller animals, lol! I hear you about the money end. And animals, especially big animals cost a lot of money. Keep us posted on his progress. I'm certain you won't be disappointed!

Maybe MFB needs to take out his tag line about strays! But then again he ended up with you, so maybe not.
On the serious side, good on you both of ya!

Plagiarism? Yes, I totally stole half your post honey. ;)

B.hromada, he is gorgeous isn't he? How anyone could look out in a pasture and watch that poor guy wasting away every day I'll never understand. He looks pretty sorry though compared to all the horses at the stable we've got him boarded at though. A guy was there yesterday when I stopped by to tell the trainer that some way, some how, we were going to give him a chance. The guy said "whew, you could buy a whole lotta horse for what you're putting into that one!"

I just smiled and nodded. There's no way to explain to him or anyone else...it isn't a horse I want...it's THIS horse. I want to be able to look back at these pictures later, then go out and saddle up my gorgeous HEALTHY boy and know that he's there because we gave him a shot.

Todd, you hit the nail on the head. We're just a couple strays, giving a kindred spirit a hand.

Last edited:
He is beautiful! It just goes to show how sweet you two are.

If it weren't for the fact that I am smack dab in the middle of training my fiilly to ride, i would offer to take him and work on him.

Though I doubt you would let me.

I can tell you two are already in love with him. Such a beautiful animal

Last edited:
He is beautiful! It just goes to show how sweet you two are.

If it weren't for the fact that I am smack dab in the middle of training my fiilly to ride, i would offer to take him and work on him.

Though I doubt you would let me.

I can tell you two are already in love with him. Such a beautiful animal
Wanna bet WE wouldn't? This half of we would.
tongue2.gif

btw... where ya been?
idunno.gif

Kristy, I have no idea how we'll cover these vet bills...I just know we have to somehow. I've contacted rescues and nobody wants him. 3 never even called me back. I'm going to try contacting a veterinary school, maybe that'll cut the cost a bit...I doubt it, but we're willing to try anything at this point. He deserves a chance. Friday he had his head hung down like he'd given up. Yesterday, he neighed when I drove up. He seems like he's got hope again.

Back
Top Bottom