How do ya'll make your Chili?

TransplantedTexan

Songster
12 Years
Jul 9, 2007
Bear Creek, Wi
When I moved to the North I was horrified to find that they made something here they called chili, but it was bland and watery. Worst of all, it had noodles in it. Just for good measure they throw some beans in from time to time.
How do ya'll like yours? Post a recipe or just comment on the various styles where you live and what you like best.
Mine usally goes something like this, but I am rarely regimented enough to stick completly to a recipe.

1 Batch Ancho Chili paste**
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 pound beef chuck roast/ or stew meat trim off fat cut into a dice
1 pound lean pork cut in dice
1 pound lean hamburger
3 yellow onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic chopped
6 jalapenos chopped
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
dash cider vinegar
1 can tomatoes (28 ounces) (optional)
A little oil

Roast cumin seeds for 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Remove and set aside. Heat oil in a LARGE kettle.Brown the meats first (drain off the fat), and then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 3-4 hours on low, adding tomato sauce, a little beer if it seems dry. Correct seasonings to taste - I like it hair removal hot .
Cook for 1- 2 more hours on low.

Ancho Chili Paste

8 dried anchos, seeded
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt

Prepare chilies by cracking them open and removing seeds and veins and stems. Cover with hot water. Soak for 1 hour. Drain, but reserve the soaking liquid. Place pepper skins in blender and add enough of the water so that the total amount in the blender is 2 cups. Add remaining ingredients and blend until thick and smooth.
If it's to thin add some Maza flour to thicken up.
Your spoon should stand up by it's self in the bowl.
Done.

Garnish with some sour cream and cheddar cheese.

I won't add a recipe just a comment. I am a Yankee born and raised and moved to KY about 8 years ago. People down here put spagetti in their Chili and that's just wrong!
lol.png
That goulash (to yanks)!
big_smile.png

That's right, what they make here in Wi I would call goulash.
One day at work a guy was eating his "chili." I told him that what he was eating was called Goulash. He looked at me real funny and said " Galoshes, that's what you wear on your feet when it rains!"

Here in Iowa chili is chili and one of my favorite meals from school was chili and cinnamon roll.
My chili is different almost every time this is my basic start
ground beef
chili beans(not alot, I don't like alot)
lots of onions
green peppers
tomato juice-enough for your liking of how thick
canned chopped tomato often times rotels with green peppers
plain canned tomato
chili powder then again to your likeness
let sit in a slow cooker
YUMMMMMMY
Then as a side
Rhodes cinnamon rolls

I'm a transplanted Wisconsinite in Texas...

I don't get too fancy. Usually:

1 to 1.5 pounds of ground beef
2 cans of drained kidney beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
chopped onion
season to taste with red cayenne, salt, and chili powder

sometimes I'll throw in a can of Rotel or some tomato sauce,
it depends upon what's in the cupboard.

I grew up in western Wisconsin and if it had pasta in it we called it goulash. My wife cooked some up tonight. Ground beef, diced tomatoes, and macaroni, and various spices to eat over bread. She calls it Mom's Hamburger Helper, I call it goulash.

We love chilli! A chilli pot is unsafe in my house! When I cook a pick stock pot full of chilli we tend to eat it 3 or 4 days in a row.

Been making chili a long time, eating it a little longer. Have made from scratch and from recipies. The best all around chili that I like the most comes in a little bag kit at the Food store it is called Carrol Shelby's (may not be available north of Dallas)
wink.png

All you need is the bag, 2#grd beef or chili meat, onions(my addition)
an 8ounce can of tomato sauce( I usually add Mexican spice
diced tomatoes with cumin, jalapeno, and garlic) and follow the directions( my daughter calls this type directions food)

Its quick about thirty minutes( I always let it simmer an hour). I honestly have never eaten better and I have eaten chili all over this state and a few others. MHO

Quote:
I've used that before. I think we used to get it in Ohio as well as here. There is a bag of spices, salt, red pepper and corn starch to thicken it up. We don't buy it too often because the only thing we really used out of the kit was the large bag of spices and a dash of red pepper. It is pretty good seasoning though.

Back
Top Bottom