how do you all buy just a few chicks?

I talked to a lady that works at Tractor Supply and she told me they get their chicks from hatcheries like McMurray, Meyer and a few local ones. She is in charge of that department and she can go wherever she wants to order them. She typically orders 50 to 100 birds for a weekly delivery with different breeds being delivered each week. Her manager don't care as long as she turns a profit. Think about it>>>>>She buys 100 birds for on average $3 per bird. Sets up a stock tank and a light, some water and slaps a $7.99 per bird price on them. and makes the store on average $500 per week. Now some people will need feed, supplies and other stuff for the new chicks so as you can see big $ in it for TS.
Last year when I ordered from Mcmurray I ordered 50 birds and only really wanted 25. So when I got them I put and add on Craigslist and sold all 25 I didn't need. I ended up with my birds for free. I'm going to do it again this year but including turkeys and phesants also.

Quote:
ep.gif

$7.99?? Holy schnikes!

Check with your local store. Mine starts getting birds in mid-feb and they are happy to custom order for you. That way, there is no minimum because they just order extra for you.

None of the stores around here have a min. Purchase, but they will warn you that chicks aren't solitary animals if you only buy one.

Meyer Hatchery in Polk Ohio has mininum orders of 3 chicks. You do have an extra fee to pay because they put a heat pack in there to keep the babies warm....

Now, I would find a local breeder. Then you can just go pick the chicks up, and no worries about shipping......

Sharon

Depends on what you want them for. Are you just getting started and just want some fresh eggs or pets? If so wait till tractor supply or your local co-op get theirs a coupleweeks before easter usually. Ask them for a specific date and try to get there early on the day of delivery (that way you get in there before all the unsupervised kids that think it is a free zoo pick them all up and put them back in the wrong bin) of course some unsupervised parents do the same thing, LOL

The couple of hatcheries that will ship less than 25 are not worth it at all IMPO I would rather just find someone near you that will split an order, or sell the extras on CL. Even if you have to take a slight loss on them, you will still end up at half or less than what you would pay at "my pet chicken". Shoot for the first of Feb. if at all possible so you have a few months of good egg production and mature birds before they slow down for winter.

Many good and experienced people on here if you need advice. Try and find a thread that is local to you. You can usually find someone that wants to replenish their laying flock and will split an order or a breeder that will want to get rid of some non show quality birds. I sell 3 month olds for a few dollars just to get rid of the Dels that dont make the breeder program. As long as they promise they are only going into a layer flock and not being bred (i dont want to perpetuate the flaws in the breed).

a couple of people have said that meyer hatchery has a minimum order of three chicks, but the online site won't let me place an order unless i have 15 chicks in the basket.

my pet chicken doesn't have availability as early as i'd like, but i might have to just be patient.

i will also check my local feed store, i have to run over there today for something else.

last year we gave all the extra RIR males (from our small ideal-hatchery order) to my daughter's boss at the pet store where she works (he has a farm). maybe i'll just do the same this year. or i will give them away on CL... i don't care about the money from selling them.

but the best solution would be for me to find somebody local who will want to go in together on an order. maybe i should go to the "here i am, where are you" forum and see if there's anybody near me who'd be interested.

thanks everybody for all the replies.

-eric

Last edited:
Quote:
Holy schnikes is right! I went to my little local feedstore and they were less than $2 a chick. They order hatchery birds in a big batch about once a month or so. I only got 3 chicks and a big 50 lb bag of chick starter for around $25.

How do I get just a few chicks? I wait until spring, when the shipping conditions and selection is best, then I order from Ideal. They have a $ amount minimum, not a chick minimum. I add the instructions that I don't want male chicks added for warmth - you have to pay a small ($2 -3) postal insurance for this - and instruct them to add extra straw in the box for warmth.

You can order from Ideal early to get the best selection, but ask for delivery at a later date.

I refuse to pay the increased price to get chicks from MPC (where I live it would be a min. of 8 chicks from them) when I could go through a hatchery and get the same thing. MPC is not a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom