How do you avoid tracking chicken poo all through your house?

We have a wire bristle brush that we keep by the back door. All shoes must be scraped clean until they can enter the house. If it real mucky, the shoes stay outside. We live in a dry climate, so mud isn't usually an issue...just chicken poo. The smoother the sole the better...crocs, cowboy boots, etc.

The poo really seems to be accumulating, especially during the winter when the grass isn't growing. I've been thinking of making some collection buckets out of milk jugs and giving my kids the job of collecting the larger, more solid droppings and tossing them in the compost bin. I'm hoping this will keep the grass a little cleaner. In the summer I'll just squirt 'em with the hose to dissolve them into the soil. We also just take our shoes off in the garage. General rule in our home is no shoes in the house anyway.

My DH and I each have a pair of muck boots (OK OK I have like 2 pairs of muck boots and a pair of waterproof shoes. A gal loves shoes! ) Anyway, this X-mas I made the mandate of enough is enough. The DH's shoes had dog poo on them for like the third time. Even though we pick up or I should say I pick up, he manages to step in some somewhere. Anyway, we always wear the muck boots in the yard and if I wear my waterproof (very cute, pink might I add) boots I rinse off with the hose. Under no circumstances do we walk in the house with muck boots. (OK OK OK, I did it the other day, but I felt bad later
hu.gif
)

I know some people who show who are even more careful. The will leave vibrac, or novelsam, by the barn / front door and dip before they go in or out of the barn to prevent parasites, avian flu etc.

Last edited:
I have 2 pair of boots designated for farm chores: 1 pair rubber water boots & 1 pair cowboy boots. The stay on the back porch by the door (thankfully the dogs are nice enough not to have a shoe fetish). I'm usually barefoot in the house, so I just step onto the back porch, slip on the boots & I'm off. When I'm done, they get left on the porch, right outside the door, for the next time.
I love the crocs idea, but honestly, I'm such a klutz, I cant even walk in them without twisting an ankle!

Quote:
I have a spare pair of old, ugly shoes that I keep at the back door. I call them my "coop shoes". I wear them when doing anything in the backyard or in the chicken coop/run. I put them on and take them off at the back door. They are not worn in the house, and I don't wear my inside shoes out in the back yard.

Of course, there's no way to completely keep all animal dirt/waste outside. Sometimes it makes its way into the house anyway, no matter what we do.

I heard crocs mentioned and even tho its winter I have paths shoveled to the chic shed, the barn, from barn to chics, etc etc and I DO wear my crocs to these establishments because I hate to pull boots on. the boots come on when I have actual muck work otherwise if just checking chics or feeding horses I wear my crocs and leave them at the door. hurry up spring!!!!!!!!!!(THEN its actually harder because you can have puddles everywhere so...)

well DH solved that problem , the man is a genius he took the handle off of a stiff broom, you know the really hard bristles . He drilled a hole in the head and screwed it to the deck upside down so when I get to the top of the deck stairs I brush my feet off on the broom head. Now the grandkids do it too!

Back
Top Bottom