How do you avoid tracking chicken poo all through your house?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eggsontoast, Jan 29, 2011.

1. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    We have 3 chickens in our backyard. I spend a lot of time just sitting with them and giving them treats as do my 2 daughters. Everytime I'm about to step through the backdoor, I check my shoes and inevitably they're full of chicken poo. I've been leaving the poo-soled shoes on the back deck, but now I've got about 5 pairs out there! I feel like my kids are tracking it all over the house. What do you guys do about this?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Had that problem until the wife made a mandate. No more chickens on the grass. Period. No more poop for her or the grandkids to step in. It was non-negotiable and I completely understood. They didn't NEED to roam the lawn anyhow.

Had to build huge runs and some portable pasture runs for them, but now? I just have to watch my barn shoes. Yup. Easy to get a bunch of pairs at the back door.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have a designated pair of coop shoes (crocs) that go on when I go out and come off and the entryway of the door. Before I had a designated pair, inevitably all of my shoes would end up with chicken poo on them. I finally just had to say ENOUGH and make myself change into those crocs (now it's boots cuz it's winter) before going out to see the chickens.

4. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    We take our boots off at the back door after we enter thru the basement That is out back yard entrance.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I found a boot scraper at the hardware store. It's coiled wire with brush bristles sticking up up through it. I bought one for each outside door, to scrape mud, grass clippings and chicken poop off shoes before entering the house. Works if you use it; that's the hard part!

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ALL shoes come off at my front door-Unless its Spring SUmmer and Fall-thats when I can hook up my outdoor hose and wash my shoes down before I walk up to the house!

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

You can keep from tracking it in? Who knew? [​IMG]

8. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    No chickens in the yard, and poop kickers that are put on on the back porch and taken off on the back porch. Tehre's just no other way to avoid it... sadly. i rotated my chickens around the yard with step in fence posts and chicken netting.

9. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    designated coop shoes, they come off @ the door, & put in the boot tray. They go from boot tray right out the door, so no floors get stepped on w/ the coop shoes on. [​IMG]
    I have a designated coop jacket too.....yeah I might be a little O.C.D.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

We have shoes for the outdoors, and don't wear shoes inside beyond the entry way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by