How do you candle with 46 eggs?

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
I wonder how to get the eggs all candled without letting them get too cold. If I take them all out they will get cold so maybe take half out and then do the other half? And when it is lock down I will have to take them all out so I can remove the turner. That scares me too. LOL

I would sneak one out at a time, candle it then put it back in and grab the next.

Could you leave the turner in but unplug it?
It is an older turner out of metal and I would be afraid to leave it in. They could get caught under it when they hatch.
I was afraid of opening it 46 times.......

If it's a Styrofoam type incubator at night take the top off and put a light (cell phone) on each at an angle without moving them. Did it many times it won't mess nothing up a hen would be off her nest way longer than that would take

I am one that believes there isn't much harm done to an egg if it is slightly cooled off for a few seconds. Think about how a broody gets off the nest daily.
I am not worried about the egg I am candling but taking the lid off and on 46 times would cool the incubator but like you say the hen gets off so that should be ok

If it's a Styrofoam type incubator at night take the top off and put a light (cell phone) on each at an angle without moving them. Did it many times it won't mess nothing up a hen would be off her nest way longer than that would take
I could do that but I want to draw the air sack on them too. I guess that would work. Thanks for the in put. I need all I can get. LOL

Hmmmm... valid issue and a good question. You're making me think twice about a larger incubator. Maybe I'll just get a second small one, instead. Thanks! Really!
That's what I did too, I have 40 eggs incubating but I divided it into 2 incubators so as to not have egg overcrowding and make it easier to candle, but I only do a few (10) at a time and only take one egg out at a time and put it right back in. Make sure the temp regulates for 1/2 an hour and do the other 10. I have not had a problem as yet doing it this way.

Back
Top Bottom