How do you candle with 46 eggs?

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
I wonder how to get the eggs all candled without letting them get too cold. If I take them all out they will get cold so maybe take half out and then do the other half? And when it is lock down I will have to take them all out so I can remove the turner. That scares me too. LOL

If it's a Styrofoam type incubator at night take the top off and put a light (cell phone) on each at an angle without moving them. Did it many times it won't mess nothing up a hen would be off her nest way longer than that would take

I wonder how to get the eggs all candled without letting them get too cold. If I take them all out they will get cold so maybe take half out and then do the other half? And when it is lock down I will have to take them all out so I can remove the turner. That scares me too. LOL
I think of it like this. Over the years I have used broody's to hatch eggs and they usually get off of their nest for 15 to 20 minutes daily to eat, drink and poop. I usually don't candle until I set the eggs for hatching. Haven't had a problem yet.

That's fine so however is most convenient for you just rest assured hens (I have 1) that seems continuously off her nest and hatches 100%. Also had eggs delivered to me in the rain that a friend's hen abandoned in a storm I put them under a broody hen and all hatched. I wouldn't sweat some time off the incubation

I have a cabinet incubator that has three separate trays for eggs. I only candle when moving the eggs to the hatcher. When I candle, I pull one tray out at a time, candle them and move the viable eggs to the hatcher. Each tray may contain as many as 72 eggs if the tray is full.

I would sneak one out at a time, candle it then put it back in and grab the next.

Could you leave the turner in but unplug it?
It is an older turner out of metal and I would be afraid to leave it in. They could get caught under it when they hatch.
I was afraid of opening it 46 times.......

I am one that believes there isn't much harm done to an egg if it is slightly cooled off for a few seconds. Think about how a broody gets off the nest daily.
I am not worried about the egg I am candling but taking the lid off and on 46 times would cool the incubator but like you say the hen gets off so that should be ok

Back
Top Bottom