How do you catch a pair of once tame muscovys ducks?UPDATE caught one!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pringle, Nov 13, 2010.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Alright,I have a real problem here.I got a pair of muscovys in the spring time.They were about 2 years old and were doing good in there enclosure. I actually hatched out of the females eggs.I kept them in there for about 3 weeks and thought they got used to my house so I let them out. BAD IDEA The female imediatly flew away into the wetlands behind my house. The male sticked around for a few weeks and disapeared one day when I let him out. Yesterday When I went out there to see the geese I saw them having a great time in the water. I cant believe they survived the whole summer out there and they look like there in great condition.I need to cach them becouse winters coming fast and they will die out there if I dont get them.Anyone have any ideas?

*****UPDATE******
    Ok so Ive been going out there everyday and throwing bread out but they dident seem to come.Then today I saw Jim(the male muscovy)eating feed outa the food bowl!I guess he remembered we were here and decided to eat.The problem was was that his son(Nibbles)who has never met him got ticked off and tried attacking him.Well to keep it short Jim beat the crap outa him before I got to them.I caught Jim put him in a doghouse and now hes eating and drinking happily there.The female muscovy(Nibbles mom)is nowere to be seen and sadly I think she died.Jim looks in great condition,hes not skinny or sick but he did get some grey feathers on his head since the time he decided to take to the wild.
    Question:how do I get father and son to like each other now.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Can you carry some treats out (frozen peas perhaps) a few days in a row while calling "duck duck duck" and see if they become interested? If it works then continue to do it working your way closer to the pen you want them in until you can corral or herd them in there.
    Good luck!

Michelle

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You do have a shot gun, don't you?
    [​IMG]
    Just kidding. I would try the treats as well. They may be more inclined to come back once they find less food.

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ok ill try with bread since its there favorite but its just the pen is about 70 ft away so it will be kinda hard to herd them in there

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    That's why I suggested trying a few times, each time stand a little closer to the pen. I figure if you try herding them 70 feet it won't happen. I can herd mine almost 200 feet from the pond to their pen however it only happens every once in a while, they normally come up to their pen as soon as I call. Your's have been free for some time so herding that far might be impossible. Take a few days, get them to come a certain distance the first day, further the next and so on. It might work.

Michelle

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I use the same bowl with treats all the time. Now they only have to see "the" bowl and they run as fast as they can.

7. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Been there, done that. Oh geeze - I finally had to do something i hated. I had to heard them into a makeshirrt enclosure by the pond with lots of treats and used a large fishing net for the female since they are the flightiest.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Find an area that they frequent on land and place some grain there. Once they start eating it place a live trap baited with grain in the feeding spot.

9. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    When i bought my ducks, the breeder recommended a large fishing net.

I bought one at Academy, but hopefully won't need to use it unless i have to take them to the vet.

10. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

.........GOOD LUCK.............[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by