How do you charge for meat birds?

my chickens are pets, and the eggs are an added bonus. My landlord gave us a few chicks in the dead of winter, so I had to buy both chicken feed and chick starter. Right after I quit my job. So I’m really thankful that they're grown now and I’m back to my twenty buck feeding schedule

I’ve looked into fermenting feed, and I’ve decided that with my setup it wouldn’t really do much. My chickens get a big scoop of crumbles and a big scoop of scratch, along with any kitchen scraps every morning, and then they free range all day. They don’t even bother to clear what I give them, leaving the opossums a near-nightly feast. As long as I can work 2-3 hours a week, I don’t really have to worry about feed costs— even if I can’t work one week, my parents would foot the feed bill for me. I guess that’s what happens when you let your crazy chicken lady daughter get more chickens... not that I’m complaining, of course.
well. Saving while you are working will make it so you dont have to borrow. Three buckets and 5 min a day

EDIT: Pour off the liquid from one day's batch onto the freshly started batch. Don't stir after the first mix. I drain as much liquid off as I can before mixing in the soy meal. We don't want drunk chickens. :) If you only have a few chickens, use soup cans. Chicken noodle I would suggest...bwahahaha. ahem.

Last edited:
He was sexed wrong. I was supposed to get 2 Jersey giant pullets. His brother was rehomed because he was a wild child and very human aggressive.

Squatch is like a dog. He follows me everywhere and is always wondering what I'm doing.
Nice, two roosters?? lol. Something to talk about anyway. And hear.

If they think I should be making less than minimum wage for the work I do, I politely send them on their way.
I know what you mean. My eggs go for $10 a dozen. Or free. If they take the free ones they get all we have, maybe 8 dozen if it's been a week. Next time they buy one dozen for $10. :D

EDIT: OK, we don't sell the eggs. Neighbors and family get them it seems We are the egg-men. I am the wallpaper. pshaw pshaw psh pshaw.

Since you are in Ohio, you are able to butcher and sell from your place up to a certain number without any requirements/restrictions/etc (as I understand it). Other states have different requirements. Always good to know what your requirements are ahead of time.

Cost: as others describe -raw material cost, housing/electric/water/feed.

profit: depends on how much your market will bear. How much are store chicken vs the “all-natural” store chickens sold for? high end grocery around you? What do they sell for?

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom